CB Antenna used for radio?

Started by Oz, November 22, 2009, 01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Can a CB antenna be used for the stereo?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Clyde9

While not very efficient, a combiner can be used.

I got this one at the Flee Market.

It does work, but not that well...

Jack

Clyde9

Radio Shack used to carry them, but not sure if they do anymore. I have seen several at Flee Markets, but that is it!!

Jack

ibdilbert01

I think I've had a bit better luck than Jack.   What I found was two devices on the market, one that will let you use a standard Radio Antenna as a CB Antenna, and one that lest you use your existing CB antenna(s) as a radio antenna.   

Years ago I had one that let you use your Radio Antenna as a CB antenna, and I had rather poor experience with it, particularly with transmitting.

A few years ago I bought one of these from FireStick...
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/AR-1A.htm
(Match-MakerTM CB/AM/FM, CB Antenna Splitter )

It like Jacks as you can use your existing CB antenna(s) for your Radio. I have a dual firestick antenna set up on my mirrors and using this setup I have an unnoticeable loss on my CB both receiving and transmitting.   On the radio, FM reception is fantastic, I can pick up stations that I can't with my pick me up truck.   But AM seems to be a bit weak, but acceptable for me.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Clyde9

I will have to get one and try it Tim.

Jack

jkilbert

if you're just looking for reception  just about anything can be used as a stereo antenna, just look at the various antennas at the auto parts store or stereo shop. the issue is when you need to transmit  such as for a cb, ham , marine or other type radio. for transmitting purposes the antenna is tuned for optimum output at a given wavelength.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt