Generator runs rough & I have no 110v electric

Started by MSN Member, November 21, 2009, 11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbruno08

Sent: 5/25/2004

Hi all,
   I have a 1977 Winnebago Chieftain, the other day I had the genarator running fine, the next day it started but ran rough and the indicator light wasn't on, none of the electric works but they did the day before. I checked it all out and everything seems ok. The generator is a Kohler, model is 4.5 CM21, serial # 485718, specialty code is 13901AW. The generator will start w/switch but runs rough but nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Daved27c

Sent: 5/26/2004

Hi and welcome;

I would start by checking your panel box. It sounds like you may have tripped a breaker. Have you tried it since then? Did you do anything different the second time? One thing to try. Unplug your rig, start the generator, and plug a 110v appliance in. If it works, you probably have a 12 volt problem. This would explain the indicator light being out. If it doesn't then you have a 110v problem. I don't have alot of experience with these things, so please post all the info you can so we can try to figure this out.

Dave

Sea Hag

Sent: 5/27/2004

The genny needs to get to a certain RPM to produce 110 VAC so running rough may be part of the problem . My 76 Chief has a recpticle in the compartment to plug the power cord in you might check that too - also check the voltage so you don't burn up any 110 vac devices from to low voltage . Sea Hag

Wendell

Sent: 6/9/2004

Sounds like you may have a fuel system problem.  First, I'd check the fuel filter on the genny.  Mine has a clear bowl that you can see and it is easy to remove and clean. You may need have to have the carb rebuilt.  If you don't use the genny much and it has sat around for awhile, the carb may be all gummed up which is a common problem with any gasoline powered device that isn't run regularly.

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 6/16/2004

Check the throttle butterfly in the carb.  When I first got my winnie, which also has a 4CM21 Kohler, the engine was hard to start when cold.  It ran rough until warmed up, then ran at 3000 rpm.  After removing the air cleaner, I found that the two small brass screws that hold the butterfly to the shaft had sheared off and allowed the butterfly itself to be sucked into the intake.  Luckily, the intake narrows down so the butterfly was lodged in the throat parallel to the throat walls.  I had to remove the carb, tear it down, drill out the stubs of the old brass screws, re-tap the holes for larger screws, then re-assemble everything.  It sounds like yours may be wedged at an angle (if this is the problem) partially blocking the intake.

As one of the other members said, the engine needs to attain 1800 rpm to engergize the primary exciter circuit -- which then allows the secondary circuit to produce the AC voltage.  If the engine is not running at 1800 rpm (this is an 1800 rpm gen-set), then you will not have AC power.

John Smith