high hours on Generator, it's not running, should I just remove it?

Started by MSN Member, November 17, 2009, 08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ksnarf

Sent: 3/2/2004

now that i have most of my coach systems worked out, i wanted to start on the generator. i don't REALLY need it as i will be plugged in at all times, but it might be nice to have if we ever lose power (seems to happen alot at this park)

According to the hour meter, the gen has run 5274 hours. there are two wires between the clock and the generator hour meter, which i assume are for a remote start switch. When i try to start the generator, all i hear is what sounds like a spinning starter (a high wirring noise) i have tried a few things, but nothing seems to get this gen going. should i try and get it going, or just pull it and save the weight and space for something else?

kris

mightybooboo

Kris,if it is an Onan UN or CCK model I just saw some links for those manuals in the Member Area under get tech help and diagrams
BooBoo

HAL

Sounds like the clutch in the starter is stuck.

If you can get to the starter, pull the solenoid and see if the clutch assembly will move.
  HAL

UluzYarx

Sent: 3/3/2004

Take your generator starter motor out.
~
At the inward end is a gear.
It's most likely stuck on its spiral thread..
~
Free it, clean the cork screw thread it rides out on.
~
Clean all oil off the screw thread and cog.
~
Check its brushes if you feel inclined and you're mechanically inclined.
~
Replace the starter motor.
Start generator.
~
A generator in the hand is worth in your parts store.
~
All the best Dave

Sea Hag

Sent: 3/3/2004

I certainly wouln't remove the Gen Set - try starting it from the Gen . compartment there shoud be a switch to start it there also and you can better determine if it is cranking over . The Gen set comes in handy when underway for the roof A/C on hot days as the optional Auto A/C if you have it and it still works - strugels with keeping such a large area cool , and also is very handy for road side repairs - not that any of these rigs ever break down - Sea Hag

denisondc

Sent: 3/4/2004

Handy for roadside repairs - Yes indeed, you can run electric lights and power tools for some other RVer whose rig has conked out along the way!!    denison

Oz

Sent: 3/5/2004

The genny in the Winne-Beast was stolen when the PO had it.  It is great for the extra storage!  I figure that, since I do shore power camping almost exclusively, I'm fine without it.  It would be really nice to have to run the roof A/C while driving, for overnight stops on long trips, and to enjoy some get-away-from-the-crowd boondocking but, it's also that much less repair and maintenance to have.  Besides, with a couple of gel batteries, a good charging system, and maybe even a couple of solar panels, I can do all those things and have the storage space.

In fact, because the genny compartment is so tall, I could even put 3 gel (or 6v golf-cart or towmotor) batteries on the bottom, put a removable shelf above them, and have even more 12v electric available and keep everything in the compartment I have have now.  I guess I'll be full of questions about that set-up in the future!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mightybooboo

"In fact, because the genny compartment is so tall, I could even put 3 gel (or 6v golf-cart or towmotor) batteries on the bottom, put a removable shelf above them, and have even more 12v electric available and keep everything in the compartment "

Hey,that would indeed be a fine battery compartment!
BooBoo

DaveVA78Chieftain

..and have enough $ left over to buy the air bags to help handle the extra weight! 

Later rigs like mine were designed for the compact genny's.  I am wondering if I will be able to fit one through the access door when i can finally afford to get one.

Dave
[move][/move]