How long can a generator be run?

Started by MSN Member, November 15, 2009, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1frMe_IR

Sent: 7/22/2003

As someone who is intending to buy one of these oldie rigs at some point, I like to know as much about them and how I will use it for when the time comes. I use a mains operated computer a lot, and I may do so more than I will drive it, at least initially.

So my query is, can the generator be used a lot every day, effectively using the gen for the main source of electric, and the leisure battery-inverter as a back up?

Is it feasible to have the gen on, say, for 2 hours in the morning, and 4 hours in the evening, every day?

And is it possible to have it on for up to 16 hours every day?

If you have it on for two hours ever day trickle charging the leisure battery, would there be enough electric in the leisure battery-inverter to run a computer for many hours every day and a microwave oven as your main cooker?

mightybooboo

I would only run the generator to use the microwave and charge the battery with a GOOD three stage charger. Would use the battery and inverter to run computer as it needs only a small amt of power.  My old genny in my Winnie is very noisy and vibrates the whole unit.Even if it could survive 16 hours a day use, I know I couldnt handle living with it on.

BooBoo

jbrt1989

A good generator shouldn't have any trouble running for an extended period of time like that. ,however, you do run the risk of shortening the life of the generator conciderably.   And as boo stated, the drone and noise of many of these older gensets can get on your nerves after awile.  Not to mention the added costs.  These older gensets aren't exactly fuel effecient and will need to be serviced after so many hours. 

You do have a couple options, ...campgrounds many times offer great deals for long term stays.  They will have fairly reliable power as well as water, sewer etc.  If you shop around, some even have cable and phone hookups available.  In the end, for what you want, I might suggest you look into our solar/inverter threads and start thinking that way.  I know many folks, some here on this board, have had a good deal of success in that dept.  Not cheap to get going, but well worth the investment if you plan to do any real serious boondocking like that. 

Finally, you certainly can run your computer off your batteries.  However, keep in mind that those batteries won't run a lot of things forever.   If you are just running the computer and one small 12V light, a good battery set up will do you fine for some use that way.  If you get into running the reefer, heater, water pump, several lights, etc.. I wouldn't bet on making it though the night.  Seems to me to be more trouble than it's worth to keep having to run the genset just to charge the batteries several times a day like that, constantly having to pick between the lesser of the two evils like that, run the genset, or run down the batteries..  I would suggest opting for the campground or solar options.

Also, due to changing temperature, humidity, loads, fuel quality etc, a generator has to change up to keep running.  I'm sure most of us who have run on generator for any time can tell you that it's not unusual to have the 12V light you're trying to read from dim from time to time as the generator has to adjust for some change it's encountered.  The A/C compressor is famous for causing that problem.  I'd be concerned about hooking up any sensitive electronics to that kind of power for any extensive time. 

Just my 2 cents worth..

Jeff

james

Sent: 7/23/2003

I find the older 1800 RPM Onans to be smoother and quieter than most new units. What I do see in restoring these older winnies is most of the Gens have been removed for one reason or another and replaced poorly, missing the rubber mounts. Also the insulation has been torn or removed. A properly installed 1800 RPM 4000 watt with a good muffler will run smooth enough you can't hear it on the other side of your rig.

Get an installation manual order the mounts and insulate. I usually add insulation around the unit inside the camper.

I have run some of these 30 or more hours during power outages, I do stop them every 8 or so to check the oil. With no problems.

A good tune up and a  good 500 hour PM will make a lot of difference. I have one with over 2000 hours on it.

James

mightybooboo

If you must use AC, get a swamp cooler that runs on 12volt, works real well for lots of folks if it isnt too humid out.  If humid use a fan setup.  If you arent using air conditioner and want to use genny a small 1000watt honda or yamaha would be my choice.  You could run it for hours with a battery charger on it.  Then get a small 600 watt microwave that you could run off the inverter.  Or better yet a 12volt micro, more efficient still.  Would be a quiet and fuel efficient setup, you could run it only as the batteries need it.I also wouldnt use micro as primary cooking source, winnies carry propane for a reason,it holds a lot of energy in a small space.

I think 1000 dollars US would buy enough solar panels(300 watts) 200 dollars US for a charge controller, 200 US for an inverter, 100 US for 2  6volt golf cart batteries.  1500 bucks US and you will need very little genny use at all.Quiet, no fumes, no vibration,no oil changes,no tune ups.

Also replace the computer with a laptop and you will be self sufficient if Jolly ol' England has enough sunshine.  150 watts of panels runs a small TV, lights and furnace pretty well.  My feeling is skip the mains thinking and start thinking low voltage, not so hard to do in your Winnie.  Then use mains voltage appliances with the genny only as a last resort.You would rarely need to fire the genny at all.

BooBoo

Rick Shaw

Just adding my two cents worth about running generators.   Last summer I was working 12 hours a night and when I got home in the morning at 7am I would start the generator.   I would sleep for about 6 hours or so and have the generator running the whole time.   I would then shut it down and start it back up later in the afternoon and run it again for about 4 hours to have some air conditioning and watch television before going back to work at 7pm.   I did this from late April until late August.   The only problem I had was that when it is really hot out and the generator is running you use a lot more oil.   

I would have plenty of extra oil handy.  In this region they recommend  SAE 30.   It seems to work the best.    Doing this whole routine...it would use about 5 gallons of gas a day......not bad I would think.

Rick

mightybooboo

James, the genny on my 79 is terrible though in fine shape.It sounds like one of those contruction jobs.  I think its a 3.5 kw at 3600 rpm.  Sure wish it was a lower rpm model.Glad to have it though when I need it.

BooBoo

1frMe_IR

Thanks for all the help and suggestions 

UluzYarx

Sent: 2/21/2004 5:03 AM

The "If you want to keep it, use it" rule applies to generators too.