Generator is hard to start

Started by MSN Member, November 15, 2009, 01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenceritity

Sent: 8/10/2003

My '75 gen set is getting tired. All original except regulator. I press the elec start button and it clicks for a sec then stops, try again...nothin. Wait an hour and the clicking comes then of coarse stops and so on...
I cleaned the ends of all the cables that connect to the battery and still clicks. Id like to keep this ole' green thing running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lefty

Does your unit have a Ford style soleniod on it in the front? if so, try "jumping" the solenoid out by connecting the two large posts together,(a large screwdriver touching both posts will do it) while holding the start switch. if it cranks, replace the solenoid.--lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

spenceritity

No it's a 440 Dodge. Tnx for the advice anyway.

Marksbestfan6

Sent: 8/11/2003

First thing does your battery have good voltage?
   I think the generators just start off the cabin battery!
    I could be wrong but I ran into that once & the motor home would start but the gen. wouldn't & I took the cabin battery out & charged it & that took care of the problem!

Dave-Pam1

Sent: 8/11/2003

My Honda gen. starts off the cabin batts. They do need a good charge to turn it over. Definitely check your solenoid after you make sure you have good voltage going to the gen set.

I have a problem with my Honda gen. It will crank over and run if I spray gas into the carb with a squirt bottle, but doesn't run on its own, also while I keep it running gas runs out of the hose thats attached to the top of the carb...
Any suggestions???

David

Marksbestfan6

Sent: 8/12/2003

David,

From the info it sounds like the needle is stuck in the seat & wont let gas to enter the bowl probably from build up from sitting & drying up & you need to replace the hose or tighten up the fitting & always use clamps on a gas hose.   Hopes this will help!

J.D.

Dave-Pam1

Sent: 8/13/2003

Hey J. D.
I'll try beating on it this weekend and try to loosen it up. Or, I may take the float bowl off and clean the needle and seat...
Thanks for the info,

David

Marksbestfan6

Sent: 8/14/2003

Hey  David,

Take the float bowl off & do some checking & cleaning & leave the the beating for the kids (lol) beating on carbs. is not good to do you might get out of control with it & crack something or break something!
   Your welcome & hope you find your problem & this helps out!

J.D.