Generator smokes

Started by MSN Member, November 14, 2009, 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatty1950

Sent: 2/8/2004

HEY ...

My other motorhome ( EUROPA) has a Generac NP45 generator...  I just changed oil, oil filter, gas filter, sparkplugs, air filter.  Then it started right up but it is smoking.  I left it running after checking the oil a couple of times.  Oil level fine but eventually stopped and appears plugs are fouled ??  Suggestions for repair so I can sell 2nd (EUROPA) RV and be a 1 Winnebago Owner (but looking for Classic Winnebago Trailer)??

Thanks
Dave Beatty
My first RV is MISS TANK ... 75 Brave

Lefty

Sent: 2/10/2004

Hi Dave, If you are just getting it to stop so you can sell it, put 1 quart of "Lucas Oil Stabilizer" in it. or a similar product, "Restore". Both will thicken the oil and prevent it from escaping around the rings,or valve seals. Be sure to put a fresh set of plugs in and run it for a couple of hours after adding it. (before someone comes to look at it) This will burn off any oil in the exhaust pipe and reduce the smoke. Good Luck, Lefty  ps. Worst come to worst, pull the wire off the coil and tell them you never used it and don't really know if it runs or not, (just kidding)
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

mightybooboo

Sent: 2/11/2004

Lefty, about that Restore. I put a can in my old Chevy after she had over 100,000 miles and the oil consumption was getting rather noticable, at least a quart every 5000 miles between oil changes.  After that one treatment it stopped consuming oil, requiring no oil between changes.  I only used it one time.  That product really worked for me, hard to believe, but it did!

Dave,

Is it possible you are just running rich?  Just a thought since you said no oil consumption, also try a hotter plug might be an idea?

BooBoo

UluzYarx

Sent: 2/11/2004

Hi Dave,
Get a bottle of STP gloop that you add to petrol (gas?) to clean injectors, inside of carbs, etc.
Get some hotter plugs (plugs with longer ceramic things up the centre electrode - MAKE SURE THE PLUG REACH, THREAD, SEALING RING ARE THE SAME.
Take the plugs out - pour some STP gloop down each plug hole - screw the old plugs back in.
Pour the rest of the gloop into the generator fuel tank.
Leave the gloop to soak down the sides of the pistons - say 24 hrs.
Take out the old plugs.
Screw in the hotter ones
Run your generator against a load to make sure that it get hot internally.
If you think lucky - you'll be lucky.

Then I can say that you didn't think hard enough if it doesn't work

All the best Dave

Beatty1950

Sent: 2/14/2004

Thanks to all for the advice.

I will be working on Generator over the weekend if find time.

I think the Generator is running too rich.  Only has 200 hours on it.   I am going to tackle it from that angle.  Plan to clean the carb and also check on plugs installed.  When I put in new plugs I put the exact same plugs as it already had.  These plugs were a different part number than was in the Generac manual.  I suppect that they are not hot enough.  So I plan to replace the plugs with the correct ones.  Also the foam secondary air filter was dirty and I tried to clean it.  Now I plan to replace the foam filter.  This foam air filter is a secondary air filter to the new paper one just installed.  I am not sure if really required and may just be restricting the air flow too much.  Also the choke may be stuck and not turning off after the engine is started.  Alot of ideas.  Will likely do multiple fixes and never know what really fixed the Generac.

Happy WinnebaGOING to all.

Dave Beatty

Beatty1950

Sent: 2/15/2004

Generac Generator is running much better (near perfect now).

I discovered that oil crankcase was over-filled.  When I changed the oil, the engine would not start so engine was not warm, so all the oil did not drain.  So when I tried to put the recommended 1.5 quarts into the engine, I over filled the engine.  I used a rubber suction bulb to suck out the extra oil, removed/cleaned the new spark plugs that were fouled with oil, and cleaned the carb and carb linkage with gumout, and then generator started fine and the blue  smoke problem is gone...

Thanks again to all for the advice.  Many times the obvious is the first thing to check.  Like do I have too much oil in the crankcase...

Live and learn.

Happy WinnebaGOING to all.

Dave Beatty