Generator won't start

Started by MSN Member, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StmpJmper

Sent: 1/19/2004

Ok, what do I do for a generator that won't turn over when I hit the start button?  I talked to the PO who used the generator unitl the muffler decided to fall off.  He said it hasn't been used in about 4-5 yrs.  I assume that it is "stuck"  from lack of use.   What is the best way to "unstick" it,  It's on a 79 Minnie Winnie.  When I changed the oil in it, the stuff was as black as night ans as thick as Cayro syrup.  I poured a little kerosene in the sump to attempt to flush out any remnants of the old oil,  was that wrong?

Sea Hag

Sent: 1/21/2004

I would remove the genetator and get it in somewhere warm and take the cowling off , since the don't have a manual pull start - Pull the Spark plugs and to try to free it up by hand -maybe try some PB Blast down th spark plug holes. -- Sea Hag

UluzYarx

Sent: 1/22/2004

Your stuck Genny

Well - deep breath -

Have you tried to turn the genny by hand with a spanner on the crankshaft nut?

If you can't do that:  It could be as simple as a broken wire.

I suggest that you get an old car horn.  Connect the horn between the live wire on the starter motor and the chassis.  And I mean the starter motor not the starter solenoid.

Go back to the starter button.

If the old car horn doesn't give a good hoot, you have an electrical problem.

If it gives a feeble hoot, you've got a stuck starter motor or a stuck engine.

If it hoots, you've probably got a broken starter motor.

If you have a chum with a voltmeter who can put it across the starter motor and the chassis grab him.  O volts when you hit the button means an electrical fault.  4 to 10 volts means something stuck.  A good 12 volts means faulty starter motor.

All the best Dave

Lefty

Sent: 1/24/2004

Sorry to hear about your Genset but I think I may can help. My Genset was also "frozen" after sitting for about 5 years when I bought it. Heres how I got mine purring.

First, remove the plugs and pour 2 table spoons of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cyl., then, drain and change the oil,(the kerosene did't hurt anything, I've used it for years as a motor flush) Refill with 30wt high detergent oil., now remove the top from the carb. It will probably be full of rust and varnish that you must remove before cranking the engine. New gaskets are available at NAPA in the Small Engine Parts and Supply Catalog but you will have to really search to find them. I am a Parts Pro with NAPA and I had to hunt and hunt for them, but we DO carry them.

After you finish the carb. chores, install a new set of points and a new condensor. let the cyl. soak for at least a couple of days, I let mine sit for a week. then, use a large rachet and socket on the front flywheel bolt to gently rock the engine back and forth. If you are lucky, it will release immediatly. If not, don't force it as you can break the rings.  Usually the Marvels oil will free one up without any trouble but if it doesn't you can then spray a good shot of PB Blaster Penatrent oil into each cyl. and let that soak over night.

If you can't move it after that, you will have to tear the engine down, as the main or rod bearings have probably rusted themselves to the crankshaft causing the seizure.If it breaks loose install fresh plugs and try to crank it over. If it starts it will smoke like crazy while it burns off the oil in the cyl. for a couple of minutes. if it continues to smoke after that the rings have either collapsed or broke. either way, a rebuild will be in order. Good Luck. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...