Generator muffler source

Started by MSN Member, November 02, 2009, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StmpJmper

Sent: 1/24/2004 10:22 AM

I have an Onan 3.0 AJ genrator in my 79 Minnie Winnie.  The muffler is gone.  Where's the best place to locate one?

Sea Hag

Sent: 1/24/2004 12:10 PM

Mobility RV lists several Onan Mufflers and , down pipes and elbows . there is a link for them on the home page for winnebago parts - have your winnebago model and serial numbers when you call - the should be able to help you.

I found a small car muffler at farm and fleet that fit on my chieftain  but I had alot of room to work with - make sure the exaust is piped out past the side or back of your rig and make sire there are no leaks , it could be deadly inside the rig with the windows closed --- Sea Hag

denisondc

Sent: 1/24/2004 6:09 PM

An idea: If your genset muffler hangs below the body of the coach; I made a bracket to hold mine in place that had captive bolts, so it was easy to remove the muffler. We dont use the genset much, and when the muffler isnt needed, it lies safely in a storage bin, where it doesn't get rusty, or get smashed when I go up into a steep driveway. Its still in fine shape after 12 years. denison

Sea Hag

Sent: 1/25/2004 12:48 PM

Denison - Thats how mine piped was when I purchased my rig last summer . the PO had mounted a tractor muffler on it and it was too loud . I got the car muffler that fit - I think it was for a Toyota . I planed to just put it on the back of the tractor muffler when using the genset but it broke the hangar - so I took off the tractor muffler and mounted the new one in its place at the race track the next day - It works great nice and quiet  not sure about the back pressure but I imagine it has less than the Onan muffler . I also noticed I attracted a croud of onlookers while working on it , just like in the paddock area . next year I'm going to bring some safty tape to keep them at a safe distance -- Sea Hag