Can my generator handle the A/C startup surge?

Started by MSN Member, November 02, 2009, 07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boat Nut

Sent: 3/30/2003 4:48 PM

I own a 73 Brave which came with, and still contains, a 2.5 KW Onan. (It's physical size is larger than the current 7 KW Onans). I really would like to install a new Coleman 13,500BTU Mach 3 PS Air Conditioner.

However, a dealer told me that the 2.5 Onan wouldn't handle the start surge load. The run current of the Mach 3 PS is 2 amps less than the run current on my Intertherm but, he claimed the start would be a problem. Has anyone out there done it? Does it actually work OK?  Chuck

MSN Member

Those older 2.5's really have a lot of kick starting things. Is your 10,000 causing problems? I have 3 older 2.5 and 2.7 kw's. Hook up a meter in line ,let you gen warm up, and kick on the AC to high and see how much drop in voltage you get. Then check your amp draw. you will see if you have any to spare. My 2.5 on my 73 winnie does not know when the AC cycles, its that smooth. Tune yours up, do a 500 hour pm on it and replace the brushes. Then under load adjust or install a new govenor spring.     

kevsws6

Sent: 12/23/2003 9:14 PM

I have the original 2.5 Onan in my 72 Brave. I also run a 13,500 BTU Duo-Therm Penguin II Air Conditioner. I have to have everything off when I kick the air on but it works. Well it did work that last 2 years. My Gen does'nt want to govern power any longer.

Boat Nut

Sent: 1/18/2004 8:24 PM

Cleaned and tuned my 2.5 up. Now she has no problem running the air, coffee maker and microwave holding 102 AC volts. She’s old but She’s strong!