1969 M-300, 13 x 2-1/2" rear brakes, part numbers

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 12, 2008, 09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 1/25/2007 6:59 AM

I'm starting to work on my second RV project which is a 1969 Glastron Motorhome on a Dodge chassis.  The rear brakes are in bad shape; the hardware had come loose and really chewed up the brake drums.  Some of the grooves are over 1/8" deep.  Starting to look for parts.  For some reason, my parts catalog (Dodge #PM962) does not cover the 13" rear brakes.  It covers everything else for the 1969-1975 chassis with incredible detail, but not these brakes.  Does anyone have this listing?  I'm gussing an older version of the parts manual might have this.

Sent: 1/25/2007 8:04 AM

You may want to check out NAPA truck parts on-line: ..

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=TS&PartNumber=TS60&Description=Brake+Shoes+-+Rear%2c+Tru-Stop

Gook luck.

Sent: 1/25/2007 3:11 PM

Clickable link:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=TS&PartNumber=TS60&Description=Brake+Shoes+-+Rear%2c+Tru-Stop

Sent: 1/26/2007 12:11 PM

Sam,

If I read your post right, I think you're worried about the damage that's been done to your drums and trying to find that part #.  If you were looking for the shoes, Sob's link above is right even if it says "front".  This link  M300 Brake shoes  will get you to the same set of shoes, but also shows that they are for the 13" Drums.

For the Drums, Try Group 22 of the manual you have.
Illus. pages 22-1 & 22-2 should show you the Drum reference # 22-04-2
Text Page 22-1 (Middle of the page) under 22-04-0  WHEEL BRAKE DRUM
Lists 22-04-2    "8 Stud, 13 x 2 1/2 Brake w/Slinger   1969-71   Qty. 2  Part Number # 2952 583"

Also found this:
Lifted from an online text file found using the "Dodge Drum 2952583" in a Google search.

The W200 1957-1960 uses brake shoe 60.  1961-68 uses 33A
1969-1971 Parts Book (W300 Truck Brake Drum Interchange)
Front  Drum - CC#2914258 (8 Stud, 14 1/8 x 1 3/4 Brake, w/Single Rear Wheels)
Front  Drum - CC#2914262 (8 Stud, 14 1/8 x 1 3/4 Brake, w/Dual Rear Wheels)
Rear   Drum - CC#2952583 (8 Stud, 13 x 2 1/2 Brake, W/Slinger), Models=(Conventional, Motor Home and 4 Wheel Drive)

W300 Brake Drum Sources:
http://ebiz.netopia.com/brakeparts/door/  (Clickable link for this URL =  Alretta Truck Parts )
http://www.engineautoparts.com/dodge-w300-pickup-truck-brake-drums.html  (Clickable link for this URL =   Dodge Brake Drums )

Hope this helps - Later - DanD

Sent: 1/26/2007 1:47 PM

Sorry Gang,

When I double checked the clickable link for  M300 Brake shoes above after it posted I just got a blank form, but if I enter: 1969  - Dodge Truck - M300 1 Ton into that form & click "Submit," I sometimes get a page showing 4 sets of shoes including the 13" one we're looking for and other times get only one set - the wrong for the Rear 12 1/8" "TS 33" shoes.

If you get the single set of shoes after resubmitting the form,  click above on the >> Brake Systems >> of the "Browse Catalog >> Brake Systems >>"  line.

Then click the Brake Pads & Shoes icon and you'll get the 4 set list.   

Sent: 1/27/2007 5:34 AM

Thanks for the information.  Looks like the shoes are available from NAPA and the other auto parts chains.  I ran down the suggested sources on the drums and it looks like there is one viable source - Altretta.  The price is ($379 each) is too high for me at this time.  Can't criticize Alretta as this is a real low volume item that is produced in small lots on special order.  But the Glastron is a second project so it can "sit for a while" until I either decide to spend the money for new parts of find some good used drums.

Still have the question about the Dodge parts catalog - while it shows the 13" drums, it does not list the rest of the parts like the cylinders and the automatic adjuster parts.  My catalog has columns for the 12 x 3, 14.12 x 3, and 15 x 4 rear brakes, but nothing for the 13 x 2-1/2.  Is there some other version of the catalog that covers the 13" brakes?

Sent: 1/27/2007 6:15 AM

Finding drums can be difficult. Check all the junkyards in your area....maybe even a 100 mile radius as somethimes the out of the way smaller country yards have not been picked over so much. I found that going to the small towns in our area and asking, there are yards about that I would have never found and/or even known exhisted. And, try the junk yard HotLine since you never know when an old Dodge Chassis of some kind that will have what you need will show up somewhere around the country. Also, I seem to remember a company somewhere that was making new drums for our vintage RVs etc. Seems they were priced at about $250. I just hope this over 50 brain will remember where I came across this information....If my neurons fire in this regard, I will let you know...lol. Maybe someone on this board will know. Good Luck! Jeff

Sent: 1/27/2007 4:30 PM

My catalog is a 1977 dodge Chassis Parts Catalog, and it too doesn't list the 13" drums, it has 12x3" listed instead.
Have you tried places like O'Rielly's, and asked for rear drums for a 1969 Dodge 1-ton pick-up? they might have a listing for a pick-up where they don't for an RV. Try looking a couple years up too. Many times they will be the same. especially on the M-300 series, since they were a 1-ton chassis. That's how I found front calipers & hoses for our '76 Chieftan. Napa didn't list them for a '76 M-500, but they showed a listing for a '79-'80 M-500, I ordered them & when they came in they were a perfect match. You never know...
As for used, I don't remember finding one that old at the junkyard where all the old RV's were, but I have to go back in a couple of weeks. I'll double-check to make sure they don't have any for you.

Sent: 1/28/2007 11:56 AM

sorry about the two deletes above - I'm having trouble with it not showing the way I wrote it - don't know whether it's my problem or msn's - do know who I suspect...

Sam,

As Jeff & Ivan suggest, the salvage route may the be best way to come by those drums, especially if you have the time to shop & watch for them at a good price.

I have the same manual you have and I've scoured it without finding any 13" brake parts other than the drums.  Our 2 Soon is a '72 Explorer and like your '69 Glastron was built on an early M300 (pre-Feb, '71) Chassis.  It has the 13" rear drums too.  I was lucky, no drum damage when I took it apart last fall - Haven't finished taking everything apart that I need to, yet, but I have ordered and stockpiled parts for the rebuild as I go...  I did find that the rear adjuster cable on one side was unhooked and hanging free, while it was completely missing on the other side.  I've still not found those cables or adjuster "Pawls" available anywhere, but I have found all the other parts (New Master & Wheel cylinders, Spring kits, and Manual rear adjusters) at reasonable prices.  Even with the new set of manual rear adjusters, I'm contemplating recrimping (an idea picked up from Slantsixness, Tom, in a thread about adjusters about a year ago) a set of "too long" cables I found if I can just find another adjuster "pawl."  Our local Clutch & brake Exchange will reline my shoes for $15 each, $60 the set, so I'd save money going with the 13" shoes at $47+ from NAPA.

Another thought...  These rear Drums are so massive & heavy, I'm not sure I'd worry about a few grooves in them - You know how badly yours are torn up and only you can decide what's right for you, but these linings are only ¼" thick when new from the factory.  If everything else is new & working properly, They should stop fine for a long time, maybe a lifetime, before they ever wear enough to bottom-out in an eighth inch groove.  So at nearly $400 apiece, I think I'd put my old ones back on even if it were my Primary vehicle.

Another place to look - the piece below was lifted from a post to a Travco site  RESOURCES   I thought it was linked in a thread here on CWM, but I can't find it now.  Although I was uncomfortable with the term rotors, I never researched it further.  Anyway the important part of the posting appears here:
Bob Spear Hello, this is Bob Spear from the Vintage Sportscoach Owners Club. I have some important information for owners of vintage Dodge chassis motorhomes. If you have owners looking for brake rotors, calipers, drums and other parts, they are all available from Auto Specialty through their retail outlets. Kelsy Hayes acquired Auto Specialty and gave them all the original molds. Auto Specialty will continue to make castings so the parts will not dry up. Auto Specialty will provide you with the number of your nearest retailer by calling 310-513-2060. Auto Specialty's tech department can give you the part number you need so when you contact your retailer, you will have it to give to them. As an example:

M500 5 bolt rotors #AR8710 M400 6 bolt rotors #AR8712 M600 8 bolt rotors #AR8711

All list around $225 each NEW!! M300 rotors #AR8703 list around $80 NEW!!

All of this information has been personally verified by me today. Please pass this info to the Travco owners who may need it. Thanks, Bob Spear 6/16/99

Source for tires. TireNET has available 7.50x17 Michelin XCA radials  load range D The last time I checked the price was $159.99 INCLUDING delivery. tubes extra. Contact John at TireNET 1-888-261-9566 E-mail tirenet@mindspring.com Website http://www.tirenet.com 3/14/99
Good Luck - later - DanD

Sent: 1/28/2007 11:59 AM

Well, Fuuuuuuuuudge!

Sent: 1/28/2007 12:39 PM

It sounds like those of us lucky enough to go hunting in salvage yards having snake-riddled motorhomes, should add 13" by 2.5" brake drums to the list. Of course the list already includes brake parts and drums/hubs from any dodge M series chassis. 

Sent: 1/29/2007 5:39 PM

Thanks for all of the good information.  Lefty and Dave (and anyone else), I would greatly appreaciate it you keep me in mind on your next trip to the magic junkyard.  I called around to a few yards in the northern Maryland area but none keeps vehicles this old.  Also tried Hartlaub's in southern PA.

Recrimping the adjuster cables is a good idea.  The cable only needs to have enough strength to overcome the adjuster spring, so recrimping should be fine.  I did purchase an adjuster hardware kit from NAPA, but it turned out to be for the front (12-1/8 x 2) brakes.  The rear brakes are heavier, with the adjuster screw assemblies having a 3-1/2" overall length x 9/16" thread vs. the 3-1/8" OAL x 3/8" thread for the fronts.  Except for one adjuster screw assembly, all of the other hardware on the rear brakes was missing or mangled.

On to other work.  The Thermoquad carburetor on the '75 Travco has been weeping gas at the top of the float bowl.  Took it apart and found that the plastic fuel bowl is not flat - the far corners are a good 1/16" lower than the center portion.  Replacement fuel bowls are available, but kind of pricey at $180.  In an attempt to level out the gasket surface, I ran a bead of epoxy around the sealing surface and then inverted it onto a sheet of plate glass.  Tomorrow I'll see how it turned out.