Advice on Buying a used Generator

Started by LJ-TJ, September 05, 2009, 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Sent: 12/2/2004

O.K. Guys I'm looking to buy a used Onan gen set for my 75 Winny. What am I looking for ??? Is one model any better than the other. Is one model any less expensive than the other to buy parts for. Am I looking for a 4,5 or6.5. The price range on E-bay seems to be around $200.00 to $500.00. What do you think? Can anyone help.    T.J.

denisondc

Sent: 12/3/2004

While I enjoy buying things from ebay, I would expect that some repair might be necessary. In fact I look for ebay items that are cheap because they need repair. 

mightybooboo

NOT CHEAP but....pay 1000 and get a Honda eu2000.Super quiet and reliable as opposed to buying a pig in a poke.However,it wont run your AC.But  if you MUST run AC,you can get a second and wire them in tandem,thats slick,plus its pure sine wave output,will run anything(digital clocks,laser printers) no matter how sensitive,most gennies wont as they aren't pure sine wave.And your appliances will be 10% more efficient and last longer with pure sine wave power.I have an Onan,3500 watt I believe,and am getting a Honda.The Onan is loud and rattles the Winny,I only like it when its really needed.Just my thoughts,your needs will dictate what to buy.Quiet sure makes friends in campgrounds,noisy surely doesn't.IMHO YMMV
BooBoo

HeavyHaulTrucker

After all of you telling everyone how noisy and shaky your Onan's are, I am glad I got a Kohler!    My genset can't be heard inside the coach, or from 20 feet away, and the only vibration I feel is a slight one in the floor.

John

mightybooboo

Right you are John,mine is a 1979 and runs 3600 rpm,an 1800 rpm is so much nicer,and as you say,I've seen Kohler much more refined than the Onan.It is pretty reliable though,but nothing you want to try to relax to!
BooBoo

denisondc

Sent: 12/10/2004

My 2.5kw Onan is perhaps marginal for running my standard RV roof a.c., the fridge, and the inverter for the 12v lights  -- but it does it.    As for its sound level, my test is to walk around other RVs, and compare sounds at the same distance as from mine.  It is softer than some, louder than others.  It is a single cylinder 1800 rpm.    I can sleep on the bed right above it with no problems.  Its very handy at home when a bad storm knocks out the electric service.

Sea Hag

My 76 has a 4k Onan . it has plenty of output for the roof AC - although it sometimes vibrates when the Ac is cycling . I think a good tuneup and carb cleaning would help - I plan to pull it and bring it to my shop this winter . It's hardly noticeable when running just the converter and small appliances like the satellite receiver .

the Onans are only suppose to rum at 1800 rpm Max . Many PO's and fly by night mechanics raise the RPM at the governor to make the run smother or to mask problems , this makes them put out too much voltage both AC and DC . I found this had been done to mine after mine ruined a brand new set of batts . the Governor adjustment was wide open .

Which ever type you choose to install , it's best to go with one made for an RV set up to run in the compartment .  A regular portable genny ( which are much cheaper ) won't cool properly in the compartment nor will it properly vent the exhaust fumes . Your best to take them out of the compartment if you use a portable .  Sea Hag

LJ-TJ

It never fails, you guys just never let me down.It looks like I'll be looking for a 5 watt Onan gen set of the same vintage as my 75 Winny. Thanks once again for taking the time to respond to my question.   T.J.

Sea Hag

Sent: 12/11/2004

TJ - I believe you meant a 5K or 5000 watt Onan- LOL . Like I said above the 4k does a sufficient job unless you have dual roof AC . I hope you find one close by as shipping @ 250 to 350 lbs could be expensive .  How are things up north ? Sea Hag

intofire1

I bought mine on E-Bay for $760.00 last Dec. and it has worked great. 4kw Onan out of a total 1995 motorhome one hour from me. I was able to test it before I bid on it. Sent away for installation manual, service manual and read all the post on CWM. Once I got the nerve (One month) I install in a weekend. Just a back yard mechanic. Got allot of help here. Thanks Gil 

enigma960080

I just  purchased a 6.5K Onan  for  my SuperChief with dual air  on EBay.  Paid  725 and it was a couple  of hours away. Was not  difficult  to install  as I  had  manuals from  the dead genset it was replacing.   I did purchase a hydraulic lift cart  to  keep my vertebrae all in  a straight line.   It seems  the  only time I see my "friends" is when THEY need  something... 
The 80 Chieftain I  had  also  had a  4.0 in it   seemed to be able  to handle  roof air, microwave, tv  and lights with  no problems....
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

LJ-TJ

Sent: 12/22/2004

You ever notice how the market is hot until you want to buy and then it dies out real quick. Lauren and I are currently keeping an eye on a 72 Winny on e-bay with a gen set in Mich. We'll buy the hole thing maybe and us it as a donor bago. Everybody have a Merry Christmas.      T.J.

another1bytesTHEduss

Sent: 12/29/2004

I just bought a 72 with an original Onan 2.5kw gen I believe, a month ago,It is quieter than the neighbors' but still seems loud to me.As for how it runs,I have yet some testing to do,but I can get back to you.

Oz

The older Onans are big in comparison to today's generators.  One thing you can do is compare the configuration to the free manuals found in the Members' Area.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

shaneperch

For Heaven's sake!!! Measure measure measure!!!  I just tried to install an Onan in my bus and it won't fit.  I need to cut the floor out,, and build a mini doghouse for it.  Furtunatly it is going under the kitchen cabinet. But measure.  Nothing I HATE more than stuff not fitting God that is frustrating.

shaneperch

Also another piece of adive I would like to give is,,  if you have a generator that runs  especially if it is old.  While you still are running without problems.  Look for replacement parts that may go.  like brushes carberators (sp?) ETC  while you still are running so that if a problem presents it's self  you won't be scrambling for parts and be down for weeks or months     I got a CCK with only 228 hours on it.   But I am already going to search parts out and or cross reference parts.   That is my opinion.   

tiinytina

http://www.perr.com/   Wonderful parts source for Onans...
and the guy knows what he is talking about too...
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!