Adding leveling jacks to Mini-Winnie

Started by MSN Member, September 03, 2009, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrapin619

Sent: 3/1/2006

I would like to add leveling scissor jacks to my mini as the using blocks garbage is for the birds. It will be easy to do the back as the bumper is a good mount but what should I do up front. Anybody have any suggestions on where I could mount them? This is an '83 Mini 420C with the Chevy chassis.

Scott

Oz

Sent: 3/3/2006

I don't have a mini myself, but all you need is enough frame to put them under without interfering with anything.  Ahead of the front tires, if possible.  If not, you could mount them just behind the trailing edge of front tires since this is still well forward of the vehicle's center.  Again, you don't want them to interfere with your wheels turning and it may also depend on what you have already there on the undercarriage. 

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tatkin

Sent: 4/8/2006

I saw at JCWhtiney, ? , they are like a stack of blocks, like Lego's . You put them under the tires as needed. Not the same as leveling but look more like the poor mans method. That is probably what I will pack ...

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 4/9/2006

The "lego" blocks are what Patti and I use right now on the Ark, and while they work, you need at LEAST 2 packs of them for even semi-unleveled ground.  Eventually we'll add the scissors jacks front and back, since its a MUCH better setup, but even then you still need some blocks for really unleveled areas or sandy soil.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

denisondc

Sent: 4/9/2006

You folks must visit campgrounds with more hills than we do. I usually carry a pair of 2 by 10 planks about 3' long, a couple of 4 by 4s and a 6 by 6. I have used them for leveling, though not in the last 3 or 4 years. I used them last November under the jack when I had to change a flat in Orange, Texas. Over the years I have replaced them 3 or 4 times after burning them to start campfires.
At the moment my winny is sitting with the 2 by 10s under the tires on the drivers side, in order to tilt it a few degrees. That way, in spite of the 3/4 inch of roof sag, the nighttime dew and the condensation from the roof a.c. runs off.

tiinytina

Sent: 4/14/2006

After our maiden voyage, and yes like a newbie backing up on some 2 x 10's in an attempt to level her (the fridge that was cold when we left the house and plugged back in 1.5 hours later, didn't get cold again until the second night...), I am looking to get some scissor jacks for our 87 Allegro 28. Especially since our rig has dual rear tires. Is there any brand better than another? I'm assuming two 2 ton jacks would be sufficient but not positive. Our local RV place has a set for $99 but I'm sure I could find a set at Walmart/ebay etc. And yes I've already added two levels to attach to the font and side of the fridge to the supply mountain that is growing around the end of my dining room table...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Slantsixness

Tina & Pat,

I use 4 "BAL" scissor jacks. I don't have them mounted yet (but it's easy to do!). I just place them under the frame at the four corners when parked. I paid about $100 for all 4 (two pair).

Your Allegro is a bit heavier than my Winnie, so you might consider the heavier scissor jacks (more than $100...) but they'll work great, and save time and hassles.

I would recommend the BAL brand. They seem to hold up, work smoothly, don't bend and they're made in the USA! I've never seen anything at Wal*Mart that I would trust to hold up.
Take a Day trip to Manassas and go to Camping World (inside Reine's RV)... they stock several different leveling jack options, and are as cheap as you can find locally (with a membership). A trip there is worth it just to look around and see all the fun Camping stuff they have, and drool over the new RV's....

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

tiinytina

Tom,

Thanks!!
Yet another reason to get out to Manassas.... Lets see there's Fosters to eat at, my coworker to visit, and a discount saddlery for Jake's needs....and best of all my favorite Toyota dealer where I've bought my 2 trucks from... See if we can get out that direction for a look see. I've only cruised Queenstown Motors here in College Park so far....

I actually don't know how heavy she is... guess I really should take her for a spin to the nearest truck scales and weigh in.... I read through every manual that she came with, looked on the door plates etc and nada.

Pat also has both types of welders (Arc and Mig)so mounting should be simple. may also have him just weld plates to the bottoms so that the need for carrying boards is reduced as well. The Allegro only has 1 basement storage area.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

W0X0F

Whilst navigating Al Gore's invention, I stumbled upon this Uniform Resource Locator: http://www.waynesrvstabilizer.com/ .  It is novel solution for the Sway problem.

Whew!!!
Did I astound and befuddle...  If so my work here is done!

Herb