What pressure are pressurized fresh water tanks designed to be run at?

Started by monte1880, July 30, 2009, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monte1880

Hi from the UK,

I have a 1973 Brave on a Dodge Chassis with a 440cu in engine, the air pressure switch has failed, seems from reading your posts that this is a common problem, I plan to bypass it and install a pressure gauge and separate on off switch, my question is what pressure are these tanks designed to be run at?
Any advice greatly appreciated

Monte

salplmb

hey monte,
i have a 73 indian with the original water tanks and air pressure set up. i usually keep mine pressured up at around 30lbs to 40lbs. if you still have all the original pipe that were copper i think you would be safe up to 60lbs. it really depends on the shape of the system. i try to keep the pressure at a level so that when i turn on the water faucets it comes out at a steady but not hard pressure. it helps to keep me from wasting water. the weakest link usually is the water heater itself. if its old and has sat for a long time it may blow with the increase in pressure. on the old set ups the pressure is on in the system all the time. with the newer on demand systems the lines are only pressurized when the pump is on.
hope this helps a little.
sal