Connecting Power to the Calypso pop-up

Started by OldEdBrady, July 29, 2009, 11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldEdBrady

Sent: 1/27/2008

All right.  Everyone has convinced me that connecting a double male end to the power cord on the Calypso is not a very good idea.

I've searched everywhere, and cannot find a male receptacle for the Calypso end on the connection to outside power.  So...

I've come across the connections (both male and female) that lock.  If I use on the Calypso end of the power cord a locking male, and mount a locking female on the Calypso itself, would this be safer?

With a 6-year-old kid coming sometime in the next month or two, I want it to be as safe as possible.

OldEdBrady

I should have added that these are the twist lock things.

denisondc

I think you would only need the twist lock connectors on the Calypso end of your cord. The other end (house end) would be like any extension cord - if it got pulled out of the plug, there would be no power in the cord, so no danger. Right? The Calypso end of the cord should be connected/located in such a way that folks (big or little) wont accidentally step on it, trip on it, dislodge it.
Before we got our Winnebago we had a homemade RV - with no generator. I got a weather proof outlet box and mounted it on the sidewall near the front; but instead of the normal duplex or simplex outlet, I got a recessed male connector; (the male counter part of an outlet, and just like a male plug end ) that was recessed inside the outlet box, so the prongs were 'below' the flat surface of the RV. The spring lid of the weatherproof outlet box would hold the cord end (female end that fitted onto the recessed male prongs) in place, and I always looped the cord around the front bumper so it wasn't so easy to trip over, then would run it along the ground to the duplex outlet at the side of the house. With this type of connector, I could and did use an ordinary heavy duty extension cord to feed power to the RV (A Chevy step van).
Our homemade RV didn't have a generator in it. I cant recall if Calypso does. If so you should make up a sturdy red tag that gets tied onto wherever the starting controls are for the generator, to remind you not to start the generator with it connected to your house power (& the local electrical grid!)

The_Handier_Man1

Ed,  Here is one place in Oregon that has an inlet connection for sale, http://rvpartsoutlet.com/product_info.php?cPath=841_194&products_id=6812 .  I know Utah is not the RV capital of the world, but you do get US mail don't you?  OK don't get mad but this should be what you need,  Les

OldEdBrady

Yes, Les.  That is PRECISELY what I need.

However...

(Isn't there always a "but"?)

I absolutely will not under any circumstances put personal financial information on the net.  Anything that is "absolutely secure" usually isn't.

So, since I've received on objections, I'll go with the locking thing.

But thanks for the info.  I truly appreciate anything anyone provides me in this quest.

Don't wanna lose our new daughter due to mishap!

The_Handier_Man1

Ok Ed let me try one more thing since we haven't beat this thing to death yet.  On the camper van I built, kind of a denison pre MH thing, I had a cover with a quick turn latch.  This was just like Wilbur has for it's power cord.  Then I put a power cord inside, just like Wilbur has.  I think you can see where this is going.  If you find some type of cover and put a short pig tail inside where you can open the cover, pull out a cord close the cover and plug it in you have it made.  We are only looking out for you, SWMBO and little Ty,    Les

OldEdBrady

Sent: 1/28/2008

I'll check out using the pigtail thing.  Can't be sure.  I don't there there's much room between the inner and outer walls, but, once at least two feet of snow have melted, I'll see.

ontheroadagain

Ed, that inlet receptacle is available from mobility r.v. its in the Winnebago parts and acc. catalog http://www.winnebagoind.com/rvcatalog/Winnebago_Catalog.pdf  mobility rv's phone # 1-800-933-7742 they take phone orders nice folks and ship stuff quick

ontheroadagain

its on page 78 i some how linked the whole catalog instead of one page 

Lefty

Ed, I have a $100 VISA card (with about $40 on it,lol) that I bought from CVS Pharmacy. It is a pre-paid VISA, accepted anywhere a regular VISA is accepted. They charge a $4.95 fee when you buy it, so it comes to $104.95/tax
They also have smaller amounts, and even different kinds. Like Discover,American Express, MasterCard,etc...
I use mine for all my on-line purchases. When I've used it up, I just get another one.
They are great for on-line stuff, as theres no personal info tied to it. At worst, a thief could clean out the balance on the card, but that would be all they could do. They are also re-loadable I think.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

OldEdBrady

Information duly noted and saved.

But, since it snowed today (AGAIN!!), I won't being doing anything any time soon.

In fact, it is supposed to snow every other day until...

Who knows?