Flooring: using wood laminate

Started by 13503gds, July 29, 2009, 12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13503gds

Sent: 10/6/2007

Has any one installed a wood laminate floor in their Winnie? I am thinking of that for mine. Some with the beveled edges look like a wood floor. I was thinking of just laminate floor but it's just as pricey.

Slantsixness

This is my opinion only... there are many good points to Laminates too... but I guess the one thing I would stay away from is vinyl flooring, except for cargo areas ( mine is all vinyl underneath all benches, beds and closets... I had a mess load of leftover vinyl from our builder when we bought our house... we hated that flooring so the builder left it all (unused) and put a more acceptable floor down, so it was free...best price I couldn't argue with for sure! )
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Oz

There have been a couple members who have done wood flooring.  I don't specifically remember the members or which photo albums show the work.  Too bad there isn't a photo keyword search!

One member did a fantastic parquet floor!  Of course, as Tom said, consider the conditions the floor is going to be used under.  High traffic?  Sandy, gritty stuff tracked across is a lot?

I used a flexible sheet flooring which was easy to cut, easy to install, and easy to replace when needed.  Also... definitely on the cheaper end of the materials price range.

You can get this type in a wood print as well.  Go to the supplier of your choice and check out your options.

Durability to suit your camping conditions and flexibility are important factors to consider.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

Sent: 10/7/2007

When we re-did the flooring in ours, we went with a Berber carpet in the front living area, and vinyl flooring that looked like pine planks for the rear kitchen area. It looked just like the real thing. We used remnant pieces that were plenty big and cost less than $50 total. Check with places that sell it from large rolls, when a roll gets almost gone it is usually not enough to do a room in a house, but is plenty for an RV. And they will sell it as a remnant cheap.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

tiinytina

Sent: 10/8/2007

We are contemplating ripping out the puke pink... ok Rose.... shag in Gone and putting in either Pergo or a wood plank vinyl strips ( They were used on one of Pat's job sites and look like real wood etc. Our issue is dog debris from sand to hair. The shag is just too hard to de-dog. We already have a cheesy plastic mat over as much as possible courtesy of the PO... but the carpet is stained and dingy beneath it. I will re-carpet the driving area in Berber to aid in engine noise reduction....
I'm thinking of Pergo due to the floating foam layer under it as added noise and insulation power vs the Vinyl. Like all RV's the carpet was put in before all walls etc. so we need to attack it with box cutters and see whats under it and how its adhered etc.
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

tommys73winn

You can also get the plank flooring with the foam layer underneath it. Thats what i saw  on a job-site today. I'm thinking about the planks myself with a sound deadener on the engine cover. hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!

13503gds

Well after being at the right place at the right time yesterday I found some laminate flooring on sale for 70 cents a square foot. Guess what I bought it. Nice Cherry wood color. When I put it in I'll take a picture of it. I like flooring over carpet because the mess can be sweep or mopped. We have had trailers for the past 20 years & the vinyl floor always won out over carpet. As for the engine cover I have pulled the carpet off it & the metal box in front of it. I know of sound proof foam that's fire proof I'll spray on the inside. As for the outside I'm going to paint it once I get the glue all off.