Can't seem to turn off the overhead AC

Started by RayCameron, July 25, 2009, 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayCameron

Hey folks, we are in a bind. Got the camper out of storage " just a few days since we had the Generator Carb cleaned. Now I can't seem to turn the AC off overhead. Once again if I flip it to the back one and try to go back to it it then throws a breaker like it is drawing too much current. we have a 84 Elandan and I feel the ac switch had a short in it.

pal1158

Have you tried plugging into shore power and seeing if it still does the same thing?

fgutie35

What do you mean "can't turn the A/C off"??? does it stays on all the time?

I have the 28EU Elandan 1988 (only one A/C), but on your situation, it seems like either one is working "extra" due to dirty filter or motor needs a lube job.

That means that it is drawing more juice so when you flip the other one, it has the same effect as if you were to turn both A/C's at the same time thus tripping the breaker.

RayCameron

Hi, and thanks for the replies. It does the same thing on shore power. I can run the rear ac and point the vents on full front and the dash ac and we should be ok.

What makes me think it is the switch is when I turn the switch to the OFF position it just stays on. So I'm guessing there is a fault of some kind. If I just leave it that way it will run fine but when I try to either turn it to just fan or alter the ac low or high too much it will fail. It will also fail it I try to shut it down by messing with the switch too much while it is in the off position. Just like when a switch it going bad.

I can just another switch by our converter to take it out of line and bring the rear ac on line and it seems to be ok. I can turn it on and off and back to fan on any speed fine. OYE!!! I

did recently have an issue with the Generator and it had it's carburetor cleaned. It works ok but the switch makes it cough and sputter a bit when I mess with it " while I was figuring out what is what " then runs ok after the coach breaker throws. I hope I can find a new switch for that unit but probably not before Sunday.  :-X

RayCameron

Well we just got back from our trip. got a new front AC at Camping World on the way back home and it works ok. Tripped the breaker once but has not done it since and it was a 3 hour trip home. I can KICK myself for not having them keep the old one for parts for the rear such as the top cover.... > :(