Front end look for various years

Started by MSN Member, July 24, 2009, 08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinballlarry1

Sent: 10/23/2006

Hello everyone;
General question about the front grille arrangements.  My '71 has the keystone wedge shaped grille on top and a full width rectangular grille down around the headlights.  From looking at all the group pictures, it looks to me as if 1971 was the only year to have the wedge shape on top.  All prior and later years have the wedge on the bottom between the headlights and the full width rectangular shape on top. 
Is this correct and is there a logical reason or just for looks??
Thanks,
LarryL 

Slantsixness

Sent: 10/24/2006

Larry,
In 70 and 71 the high end models (chieftain) had the Keystone front end treatment.
It's not unusual to find a late 69 or early 72 also with the Keystone grille. your model also likely has the three seams on the sides instead of 2 (the extra seam being above the windows, and it also may have radius (rounded) trim as opposed to the square edge trim common on most other models (Brave D18,D20,C20*)

so, yes, it is unique to your model and a couple model years. after 1971, the grille became rounded for D22 and above model changed to "Indian" and has a totally different grille than the Brave in 72 and 73. after that, the grilles became standard on all models.

The information I speak of is reliable, but not guaranteed. I'm sure there's someone out there that will attest to having a 1968 Winnebago with a 71 grille.... things like that just happen... the chassis may have been sitting around, or the Winnie may have been used as one of the Line demonstrators that Winnie paraded around the country in 1970....

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Oz

As for logic applied to how the grill styles, color schemes, model layouts, etc is concerned.... throw it out the window.  There are some basic guidelines which appear to apply, but they are general, at best, and there are as many exceptions to them as there are confirmations.  I don't know if smoking crack was popular back then, but we do know this was the psychedelic social period and may have something to do with it.

Sob 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TrixTret1

Hahahahahahahahaha

you crack me up there bosz>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Our Toastmaster seems to be att tit again.

I so enjoy pulling up in hear jes to see what da "Sob" has to say or be that day.

Keep it up "Fay-Roe""