413 Intake swap

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 11, 2008, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/14/2008 11:07 PM

I have a 413in my motorhome but I have found a chrome intake for a 440.  Will it work or will it give to much torque?  The guy only wants 20 bucks 4 it.

Sent: 4/15/2008 11:10 AM

A chrome intake would certainly look nice... for a little while...  Whether or not it will create too much torque (if there is such a thing as too much torque) really depends on more than just the intake.  You can generally say that, if it's an upgraded intake, like an Edelbrock Performer, it will provide some increase in performance.   In order to maximize the benefit, you need to know what size cfm the intake is really designed to be coupled with.

If it's simply a chrome replacement of the stock intake, well, for the hassle and additional cost of replacing the seals and all... you might just turn around and sell it for more.

~ Phåråoh ~

Sent: 4/17/2008 10:19 PM

I dont think the 413 and the 440's use the same type of carburetors. One of the engines use a 'spreadbore' config for the carburetor throats, and the other one uses a 'square bore'. I think the 413 is the square bore, the 440 being the spreadbore. There may also be other differences; 413-1's in the motorhomes didnt have an exhaust heat riser, using engine coolant from the heads instead. The 440-3's may have had an exhaust heat riser passage in the intake manifold - to match the 440-3 engine heads???