1972 Winnebago Brave D18 - RE: 25 Gallon Fuel Tank Return Fuel Line Insta Bung

Started by SloTownJ, May 30, 2021, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SloTownJ

I've decided to install a FiTech EFI on my 1972 318-3. I'm going to use Fitech's high pressure reservoir that lets you use your existing low pressure fuel system to fill a high pressure reservoir that feeds the 2-barrel EFI. I'll need to install a return fuel line into my 25 gallon stock tank. Does anyone have experience draining the fuel tank, drilling a hole and installing an Insta-bung towards the top of the tank for the return? I'll take pics as I work on this install. I'm still in the planning stages currently. Thanks in advance for any advice. -Jeremy

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

SloTownJ

Oz

Appears you'll be likely breaking new ground.  Interesting to see how it gies!

TerryH

Given that I have no idea of what your tank looks like, how it is installed, or what access is like to enable dropping it, have you considered running your return line through the fill hose or yoke instead. I have no idea if that would work, but if so I suspect it would be far less labor intensive, as well as less intrusive to the tank, and would not contaminate it as would drilling the actual tank.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Elandan2

Another alternative is to run the return line into the vent hose for the tank.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

SloTownJ

Thanks Terryh and Elandan2! My mechanic suggested the fill yoke as well for a good place to add the return line.

UPDATE:

I was about to shell out $1200.00 +tax for the FiTech EFI and Fuel System and then I lucked out and found the same matching system that was half way installed on a project car that was never completed... The car changed owners and the new owner has different plans so I picked up the complete EFI and Fuel system for $300! I love craigslist!!!!

Oz

SloTownJ

Hello Everyone,

I got the FiTech EFI ($300 craigslist) installed on my original 318-3 and it is running amazing! Spent a total of $1200 including labor / FiTech equipment. Attached are some pics. Cheers, Jeremy