Trans kickdown linkage spring?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 11, 2008, 10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78chief and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/10/2008 2:24 AM

Pandora (1976 Brave) has a one-piece transmission kickdown linkage/rod assembly that can be seen in the lower left of this photo.

Does anyone know whether there is supposed to be a spring somewhere (either at the bottom where the linkage attaches to the operating post on the trans or up top somewhere near the carb spring) to make this lever return to the forward position? Mine now basically flops around with very little resistance, while I seem to remember it returning on its own to the foward position before.

The problem I'm having is late (or no) downshift into1st, but before I go adjusting the linkage at the adjusting nut, I want to make sure I have the proper components, and the looseness/slop in the rod seems odd.

Thanks!

Dave

Sent: 4/10/2008 3:21 PM

Dave, on my 77 I dont see a spring visible.  There is some freeplay as it sits.... as I pull it back I do feel spring pressure keeping it forward I cant see the spring, it is either inside the trans or right up against it.( i have quite a bit of grease right there so cant see perfectly lol)  My guess is that it is inside the tranny.-Henry

Sent: 4/10/2008 4:22 PM

Thanks for the info Henry! I'll put on my :under the rig" outfit and check it out. Someday I will take a spatula to the 1 in. thick gunk around the tranny!

Sent: 4/10/2008 4:57 PM

Beautiful engine!, 440 or 413?
The linkage in the picture should be spring loaded at the carb/bracket it keeps the kickdown arm on the transmission forward so the transmission can shift properly. You have also lost passing gear. (that what the arm is really for), I'll take a pic of mine so you can see my setup. Don't laugh at the stock or the dirt! Mine is all original, that wishes it could look like yours!
Mike

Sent: 4/10/2008 5:31 PM

fourth try, I hope the pics make it and it help you out.
Mike

Sent: 4/10/2008 5:59 PM

Mine is missing that one....

Sent: 4/10/2008 9:22 PM

Heres a pic of mine, looks like its been a bit jerry rigged.

Also looks like I need to do some cleaning, I see sawdust on the engine, maybe blowing out the shop with a leaf blower was a bad idea.

Sent: 4/11/2008 6:47 AM

Mike that has got to be one of the most sexiest Rigs i have ever seen. WOW. She is beautiful!!!!!

Jack

Sent: 4/12/2008 2:20 AM

Thanks for the replies and the great photos. It's clear where the spring needs to be attached on the linkage, so all I need is a forward attacment point (lost when I removed the a/c mount) and I should be good to go.