Porta pot vs. built-in toilet?

Started by dougs23rb, July 16, 2009, 02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougs23rb

Sent: 9/19/2004

Since my black tank is spider cracking and looking like one good pot hole and she's going to disintegrate, especially if full, plus it's leaking at the fitting, I have been kicking around the idea of just capping it off and mounting a large portable. They have one that uses batteries and push button flushing. I'm not talking about the recycling type toilet for $500 but the smaller type for $150. I have never had the opportunity to use one of these little wonder boxes but it would make the waste tank problem go away. It would make an occasional use easy especially in Winter. And I could empty it in any plumbed toilet.  I would put a riser under it for better height. The marine version of these toilets even allows for external venting and comes with hold down brackets. Anybody got any good reason(s) why I wouldn't want to do this?

Oz

Sent: 9/19/2004

There's been at least one other member who had a marine toilet installed in their rig.  The picture may still be in the photo albums somewhere.  If your black water usage is low, the portable is a low-cost alternative to the big project of replacing your black water tank.  I have one and used it when I discovered Old Faithful spouting out of the back of my commode until I fixed it by getting another toilet from the Magic Junkyard. 

They usually also come with a semi-permanent mounting plate so you can put it right over your drain hole, easily remove the tank to empty it, and quickly remove the whole shebang if and when you ever get a permanent set-up.  You can add a vent pipe but, that's up to you.  Most of the models are sealed and don't emit odors.   I have a 5 gallon one which cost just under $100 new on e-bay.  Retail is about $129.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca