Mounting a Roof Storage Box ?

Started by MSN Member, July 08, 2009, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry060748

Sent: 6/5/2004

Can anyone tell me how to mount a storage box on the roof of my 79 Brave?
Larry12

Oz

Sent: 6/6/2004

I would like to know also.  As limited as storage space is on these old Winnies, I don't know how people get by!  I don't have a generator so, that space is very valuable for storage but, I would also like to put 2 roof storage boxes side-by-side.

I've seen a few in the photo albums that have them so, come on folks, clue us in, I need a place to keep the kids! - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cseverson

Sent: 6/7/2004

I have a roof storage box on my 72 brave....I found an older sears storage box at a garage sale a couple of years ago....its plastic and i think its about 12 cubic feet if i remember right. i simply used the clips that were supplied with it (the ones that are supposed to hook in the car door) and hooked them on the outside channel on each side of the motorhome...

for extra peace of mind I ran a load binder over the top and hooked it on the side rails. i can winch it down although i dont think i would need to.....i can remove the box just by taking the straps off and lifting it down. I was not comfortable drilling holed in the roof and wanted to keep as simple as possible....i have never had a problem with it and the extra storage is great....

hope this helps

craig

Oz

One could get quite creative with this.  I think some sort of rail system which can be mounted along the roof edges without putting holes in anywhere would be a super method.  You could come up with any number of designs and materials to use. - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Sea Hag

Although it's not originally designed for storage I mounted a viewing platform that I had previously constructed for use on my pickup truck ladder rack System . It's just simple 2x4 box frame and 3/4  plywood I had to cut it down to fit tightly between the decorative railing on the rear of the roof . I paced it over the cross braces which run 4 'center on the rear of mine so it transfers the weight to over the side and cross braces , when I remove it to paint it I will add some Cap mounting tap to the bottom and secure it to the railing with half moon Pipe clamps . secured to the platform with wood screws so I can remove it If I'm not going to use it . It's currently held in place with ratchet straps and hasn't moved . I think Sob could strap his kids up there and you probably wouldn't hear them when you got above 50 MPH .  Sea Hag

Lefty

Sent: 6/8/2004

Heres a simple ready made box, Ford used 2 styles of under bed storage boxes on their "Camper Special" pick-ups. One was metal and was very prone to rusting out, the other, which would be ideal, was a plastic box in 2 sizes, one smaller size used on 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks, the other a larger size used only on the 1 ton models. I have seen both at salvage yards although the 1 ton size is a lot rarer. Since very few people want these you probably could get it dirt cheap. I would buy a door assembly from a donor rig "Like a battery compartment door" and install the box behind it for a factory look.
Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

cookie man

Sent: 6/16/2004

The one I had on my 76 was just screwed to the roof with 1 inch wood screws and washers. Be careful that is where my roof leak was at. The aluminum roof underneath gets dirty then starts to pit causing pinhole leaks I took mine of and did not put it back on.

kevsws6

Sent: 8/4/2004

Mine was also secured with 1 inch wood screws. No leaks. I know this cause I just removed it. Looks like silicone caulking was put around each screw hole. I think I will leave it off after the roof repair. Not sure yet.

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 8/6/2004

Sea Hag wrote:
Quote"It's currently held in place with ratchet straps and hasn't moved . I think Sob could strap his kids up there and you probably wouldn't hear them when you got above 50 MPH"

You think the kids would mind the straps?    You think they could hold on at 50?

John

lockman

Sent: 8/15/2004

A PO had installed a large roof top storage box on the rear area of our 78 D23. This was a large clam shell style with locking hasps and gasket around the opening, bolted right through the roof with 1/4 " stove bolts. Three of the bolts were installed into the metal roof cross member and hidden by the plastic cover. Three were visible from the bed area with large fender washers to spread out the surface area. The unique and water proof way of mounting was large rubber grommets in the bottom of the box. The grommets had 1/4" holes in the middle and grooves around the outside to fit into 1/2" holes in the box. The 1/4" stove bolts were a tight fit in the rubber and when compressed with a large washer and the bolt, it made a very good seal to the roof and box and around the bolt. The box was removed and reinstalled after roof coating. Surprisingly the area of bare alum. roof under the box was in better shape than anywhere else and no evidence of leaking in this area..