Check Your Generator Fan Screen!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, November 11, 2008, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 07/03/2008

I was under the rig today, and noticed that the screen that covers the fan shroud's exit port was completely blocked up with debris!  I cleaned it all out, so it should be all good now.

No wonder the genny was running so poorly!  There are 2 safety switches on a Kohler genny...one is for oil pressure, one is for temperature.

The oil pressure safety switch already saved the genny once:  We were running it, when all of a sudden the genny just up a quit!  I went out to check, and the oil filter had unthreaded itself...oil was everywhere, and the switch shut off the genny before anything could be damaged.

Now I'm thinking that the reason the genny was running poorly and wanted to quit once it warmed up is the temperature switch...with the exit screen blocked with debris (it looked like mice had been living there!), it was running much hotter than is should have...so its my guess that it was on the brink of triggering the temp safety switch, which could also account for it wanting to diesel at shutoff!

So, check you fan shroud screen, and keep it cleaned out.

I'll let you know how the genny is running once I fix the oil filter problem.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.