Make Your Own Electric Step?

Started by ibdilbert01, June 15, 2009, 04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibdilbert01

Anybody make their own self retracting step?   I tested my steps durability not to long ago by driving it into a curb.   Gosh darn thing must be attached extremely well as it didn't come off.   From that point on its never forgiven me, as it doesn't want to stow away without fighting it.  I tried to re-adjust it with a sledge hammer with some success, but its still not right.

Shopping around for a replacement, I found some electric ones.   Impressive, but they seem a bit high for what I'm willing to put into a step.      I think I'm going to mess around in the garage tonight and am pretty sure one can be made using some parts from an electric car seat.   

My goal is to have a toggle switch reachable from the outside to move the step in/out.    And I want to tie a over-ride control to the ignition switch so the step comes in automatically.  A light on the dash might be nice too so I know for sure the step is in from the drivers seat.   

I thought about putting a plunger control on the door, so when you open the door, the step comes out, and when you close the door, the step comes in.   But in the summertime I like to use the AC, and I think it would be a pain while camping waiting on the step all the time.    I do want the steps to be powered from the house batteries as well, and not the chassis batteries.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Froggy1936

Hmmm.  What about a reversable  escalator ?? ;)
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ibdilbert01

Ok, prototype is done.  Tomorrow we'll clean it up, change some minor things, take it down to metal and paint it with epoxy paint.  Hopefully by Wed or Thursday we'll have it mounted.  I've changed my mind on the over-ride.  Sometimes I like to let the RV warm up a bit, and I get in / out while its running.  So I'm going to tie the over-ride to the park/neutral/safety switch.  That way the step will take itself in if the rig is put in gear and the step had been left out.     Here is a link to a short video of the prototype.  

Home made electric RV Steps, the prototype.

Froggy1936

Now that is a very good idea. If you have to stop along the road (to let the dog out etc) when you put it in park the step will extend to be ready for your exit Then when you put it in gear it will retract. Should have a pilot light to show extended though is case of failure to retract  Driving with step extended is a no no  :)ThmbUp Frank

ibdilbert01

I very much like the pilot light idea!!!!    I will stop at radio shack and see if I can find some indicator lights tonight.   :D

Froggy1936

Radio Shack will have micro switches with a roller on the actuating arm for switching light on  Advance & Pep boys have a 6 pack of LED,s in red or blue that all you need to mount them is to drill a hole 1/8 or 5/16 i think and slide them into hole they have 2 wires for hook up makes for a easy set up   ::)  Frank

ibdilbert01

Found the lights (LEDs) your talking about, very simple, I purchased red.     :D

For the micro switch, I had one that will work just fine in my box of goodies, the same micro switch that will stop the motor when the step is all the way in will also control the light.

Heres a picture of if painted.

Everything is actually welded very straight, but my camera lense distorts everything, kinda has a bad fisheye effect.

Heres a video of the painted final version of the step.   We had it mounted today, looked REALLY good!   
Home made electric RV Steps, final.

Chuck

Pretty Cool Dilbert! :)clap

If you get bored, you can come over and work on my rig a while!  Some kind of sweeper would be cool to keep your worm gears cleaned off, or some way to cover them so that road grime doesn't jam them up.
I'm working on it!

Froggy1936

Hi, Use a dry lube (like bicycle chain lube on worms and rails) mainly graphite wont collect dust as bad as grease or oil, Dirt & water are going to be main problems. A shield to block road spray is a must.  What maximum weight will the step hold ?? should be at least 300 lb.   Frank

ibdilbert01

Great ideas!  We will probably go back and box it in with sheet metal.   The whole contraption is 2 1/2 inches thick.     We just mounted it tonight.   Works GREAT!    As for weight, the weakest point is the original step.   As for the original step, its a bit reinforced by plating we used on the sides.      The way it was before, it just slid straight out, and it flexed a bit when you first stepped on it.   If I made a guess, I'd say its good for about 500 pounds, probably more.

Heres a picture of it in the out position.

Here is a picture of the controls.  Red takes it out, Black brings it in.   If you press both buttons, it will stop and not short out.   I also hooked the Park circuit up, it brings the step in when the vehicles key is on, and the lever is moved from park to any other position.   There is also some protection, as the step will not go out, even if you press the red button while its in drive.    And a light on the dash indicates that the step is in.   

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Froggy1936

:)clap Nice job, Where did you get the controller and what was its original purpose ??   ??? Frank

ibdilbert01

Thank you!    :D

The control box is just a small project box you can buy at Radio Shack.   And the red/black buttons can also be found at Radio Shack.  I just drilled two holes in the side of the box and mounted the buttons.   

Here is a quick picture of the schematic that I drew up.   Its kinda simple, two relays control the polarity of the motor.  The third relay is nothing more than an override, to bring the step in while in drive.  The only time the limit switch is used in circuit is during the override.    The limit switch is tripped when the step is in.

There are simpler ways to do this, a DPDT Momentary Rocker switch would manually bring it in and out as well, w/out relays providing the switch was big enough.