Thetford "Natural" Holding Tank Deodorant

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, April 01, 2009, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 1/5/2006

Rating:

A natural holding tank deodorant, purple in color.  It is alleged to work as well as normal Thetford blue holding tank deodorant, but doesn't.

Positive:

Perhaps the only positive that I can think of is that it doesn't contain formaldehyde, so maybe its a little more enviro-friendly or easier on septic systems?

Negative:

Everything about it is just horrible.  For one, its more expensive than the normal blue Thetford.  Secondly, it doesn't kill the odor NEARLY as well as old fashioned blue Thetford.  While it masks the odor, it certainly doesn't eliminate it like the blue does.  It also doesn't break down solid waste as well.  Finally, it doesn't seem to break down the TP as well either.

Evaluation:

Used it because I didn't notice the "natural" tag until I was already back at the rig.  It was purple with a noxious smell, and I figured, what the heck?  I poured it in, and its horrible!  It simply doesn't work nearly as well as the old blue colored Thetford.  Thankfully they still make the blue.  Don't buy the purple "natural" stuff, unless you like the smell of poop...lmao.  When the bottles I still have are gone, I'm going back to the blue stuff.

Sources:

Available at most Walmarts and RV dealers.  Cost around $7 dollars for 6 bottles (enough to do your tank 6 times).  The blue stuff costs about 6 dollars for 6 bottles, and works MUCH better.
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Slantsixness

Sent: 1/9/2006

Rating:

You'd be better off pouring paint thinner down the tank, come to think of it, that would smell better, too.

Positive:

It was free. I still have 5 bottles, want some? A brand new 6 pack was sitting in the DonorWinnie we stripped. Now I know why.

Negative:
I agree with Kevin. I tried this stuff the first time out in my Winnie. I thought maybe it was supposed to smell like that. It has a burnt rubberish smell (on top of the normal foul tank odor) when you open up the toilet to rinse out, and the odor didn't really go away until I finally put the blue stuff in. Nasty, and after a week, it didn't seem to break anything down either. Nothing like the Thetford blue bottles.

Evaluation:
Not everything "natural" is good. I don't mind being "earth friendly" and environmentally sound, but putting this purple crap in the tank smells like adding 10 pounds of solids in the tank. Maybe they should label it "ODORANT" instead of "DEODORANT"!
Save your money. Buy the Thetford Blue. It's cheaper and your nose will thank you for it.

Sources:
The thetford Blue bottles are
Available at: Wal*Mart, Camping World, Flying J's... almost anywhere you find RV stuff. 
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...