Where can I get new ignition keys made?

Started by Clyde9, November 11, 2008, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 12/31/2007 5:50 PM

Hello All,
I tried to get keys made for my 72 D20, had no luck at Walmart, or home depot.
They tried, on key "Dodge #67".  It looks the same, slides in okay, but will not turn or start.

Thanks,

Shawn

Sent: 12/31/2007 6:10 PM

When I got keys made, I think I told them it was a 1970 Plymouth sedan. Its a very standard key. Of course if they don't cut it carefully, it may not work.
I believe it is the same key blanks as for my 84 and 87 Dodge Omnis. But I have to tell them not to use the fancy key blank with the larger head on it. That type key wont fit in as far as it should. If all else fails, a locksmith is likely to make more careful copies than an associate at Walmart or Home Depot.
Im in Mexico at the moment, typing on a computer where all text on the screen and the ads is in Spanish. Keyboard too. So I hope this works.

Sent: 12/31/2007 7:07 PM

Probably everyone who's been associated with this site for more than a couple of days already knows my recommendation, but...

I had to get spares for the Ram.  I went to Home Depot.  While the "handle" end doesn't look the same, the keys work just fine.

Sent: 12/31/2007 7:24 PM

All I can say is the Walmart's  in my area  stopped  making  keys a long time ago.... maybe  it was  something  about the  operator  needing to be  smarter  than the  key....

( I  used to  work  for W/M  many  years  ago.  People  called me at  home  to ask  questions  about  how to cut a  key)

Best bet... Locksmith...  be  adventurous  and  drive  the   'bago  to the  locksmith(if you can)  That  way  you can  check  right away if it works...(Note)   this  mainly  works  for people who don't get inches/feet of snow at any given time.

Sent: 1/1/2008 11:06 AM

Last year when I was trying to troubleshoot why Excalibur (77 Itasca) wouldn't start, I thought the whole ignition switch was bad...NAPA had the whole assembly, including the key tumbler with keys...that might be an option if you can't get key cut properly.  Of course, mine is a Chevy chassis...and I also had to grind down the flats on the switch assembly itself to get it to fit...it was the same, but had raised ridges on it that Winnebago ground off to fit in their dashboard, and I had to do the same with the new switch.

Another good option is to take the key to a small hardware store, like ACE...they have always done a perfect job for me cutting keys.

Kev

Sent: 1/3/2008 12:54 AM

My family were in the locksmith business and I also learned it.  You need to know a few things.  When you go to a place like Walmart/home depot/ace hardware that have key machines, you are making a copy of a worn key that will not be to the depth spec of the original key.  Also when the key machine at these places are not adjusted properly then your depth of cuts on the new key is further off.  The depth of cuts on the key determines where the shear line is between the top pin and the bottom pin.  When the shear line of the pins are not the same as the shear line between the cylinder core and the cylinder housing, the core will not turn in the housing.  This is why with some keys, that you can jiggle and get them to work as you are kind of forcing the shear lines to be the same.

On older vehicles take your key to a regular locksmith that has a Curtis Hand Key Cutter.  He can read your key with it and cut you a key to the original depths/spec.

Places like Wal-Mart/Home Depot/Ace Hardware for the most part just stock the most popular and newer keys.

Regular Locksmiths stock more key blanks and most time have most of the older keys even back to the 40s.

Modern keys with a micro-chip in them are a completely different story.

Call around to the locksmiths listed in your yellow pages and ask them if they have a Curtis Hand Key Cutter and when you find a locksmith with one, then take your key there.