Bathroom Ceiling Material?

Started by MSN Member, May 29, 2009, 11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlbuqHenry

Sent: 2/21/2008

I was wondering what has been used to redo the ceilings of bathrooms.....Our roof vent has been leaking for a while..... the wood with the white wall paper type covering that was glued to foam has rotted, so I removed it and this leaves the foam in pretty good shape.  I need to recover..... was thinking about gluing something  to the foam.

I read in here about the FRP that ''the handier man'' used. when I looked at home depot I didn't find it or see any thing that looked right for a bathroom... Any  suggestions? I wouldn't even mind painting but what should I put up to paint?  If I find something not too expensive I might do the walls too. Thanks Henry

denisondc

Sent: 2/21/2008

The underside of the roof - i.e. the ceiling, was glued to the foam, as was the thicker plywood on the top of the foam, forming a sandwich that was fairly strong: But only because the lower sheet of ply - the ceiling- was in tension, the top plywood was in compression.
You could probably glue something to the foam, but you would need to find a glue that would not attack the Styrofoam. Winnebago sprayed the Styrofoam with an Elmer's Glue All type of polyvinyl acetate glue, then let it cure for a day. That type of glue doesn't attack the Styrofoam. Then they sprayed contact cement onto the surface of the glue on the foam and onto the plywood paneling - and assembled them clamped in a sandwich. This way they weren't depending on a glue that needed air for curing, as so many do. They could have used an epoxy - but that long ago the epoxies were much more expensive than the glues they used.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 2/22/2008

A good material to use on the roof in a bathroom is that fiberglass textured stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowes in 4x8 sheets.  It is high gloss white and made for bathroom and kitchen applications.  You'll find it in the same isle that they sell paneling for walls.
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.