Need advice on a leaky roof problem...

Started by MSN Member, May 29, 2009, 12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhappycamper

Sent: 5/13/2007

Hey All,

I have developed a leak in our motorhome and even though it appears to come through the front vent area , we are uncertain where it is starting from. I think we need to do away with the front vent all together but need advice and some coaching on the proper way of doing that. Also any other "tricks" of roof repair that can be passed on to us... PLEASE help me in trying to determine what to do next.

I am keeping a tarp across it but when we go to camp it is very annoying taking off and on. I'm not real good with heights anyway so It possibly could be a safety issue for me as well. Thanks and any and all help will greatly be appreciated. thanks "Happy Camper"
Ira 

Slantsixness

Sent: 5/14/2007

When you get a roof leak, even though it seems to be in one place, there are dozens of sources for the leak. Where it comes through the ceiling though, is limited. The vents are not sealed at the ceiling, so that would be a likely point of entry.

On a Class A winnie, leaks in the front area are commonly at the seam between the eyebrow and the main roof (there's a sealed trim piece there usually, however, some models don't have that seam, it was cut out of a single panel and folded.

Pinholes in the top aluminum roof sheet are also common. The pinholes are hard to see, and deceptive.... if you have 1 you probably have 100 pinholes.

On a Class C Minnie, the cab-over bunk tends to sag from weight, and there is a seam right near the vent that leaks commonly. This is sort of a double edged sword, the vent there keeps the seam together, and both the vent and the seam develop leaks. Not hard to fix, but if there's a seam at the vent, re-seal both the entire seam and the vent.

Consider using Kool Seal, or a similar Elastometric product to seal the entire roof Overall. And for pinholes and cracks, everybody here swears by Eternabond (I use it, the stuff is great!).

Tom  
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...