Frozen/stuck transmission shift cable (new cable)

Started by malodin, May 27, 2009, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malodin

So i have a 1972 winnebago "brave" i think(cant quite remember) and i have posted on another's post but figured i would start my own as the information i am finding out will be a good sticky.

For starters the Chrysler number 3641309 is still available at anywhere from $72-92 online and through your local dealer.

however whats the fun in going down and buying the expensive stealership parts?

so i did some research on that part number and the 2830500 part number and came up with a national stocking number 3040-00-125-4418 (having been a parts guy for a few years i have my ways of finding things clear back to the manufacturer if needed)

under the 3040 number is a group of 4 part numbers (2 are the same) they are

435059c1
435059c1

These are the 4 numbers that fall under that nsn number what this means is there are 3 different part numbers used for the same part (or close to it)

the 435059c1 number is a navistar part number and it runs $40-50 dollars and has a threaded rod on one end that goes to a 1/4 "yoke" clevis rod end (which looks alot like mine on the transmission side) to a built in flat thing with a round hole at the shifter side of things(i have yet to pull mine out to verify it) but i am putting $40.84 on it to find out if its the correct one, 90% sure it is.

and the navistar number is a normal stocking number at the main warehouse in chicago so its still getable and returnable..

any other hard parts?

Clyde9

Okay, not a bad idea for a while anyway.

Jack

malodin

judging by the way the parts depot at husky int. talked this part is not going anywhere anytime soon.  i.e. its used in all sorts of other applications.

angrybreadbox73

thats good i havent made my mind up if i wanna fix my old shifter too or keep my b,m
soo many bagos so little time

malodin

i know for me having a shifter on the doghouse would be a pita just to get in the drivers seat let alone if i gotta pull the doghouse off.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

malodin

Well it's, official the part numbers are the correct, same length (at least for my d22)  I just picked up the new cable today and laid it out next to the old one.  The only thing the new cable didn't come with is the "clevis".  It's a 1/4 20 thread and my old one is a little beat up, so I may try and find another one.  But it is the correct cable wuhu! nd only $40-50 instead of the $90.....oh shoot, i could have made some money :laugh:

Brave76

Ok trying to track these down. Help a new guy out.  Any links of where to start looking for the pieces? 76 brave 440. Dodge dealer said he thinks it the 3641309. If the 76 D-21 with a 440 is an M400 is it ?

Thank you

newellkev

I believe if you take your vin number and use the Dodge Vin Decoder on the right hand side of the site page it will tell you what you got. Hope that helps !
The only way out.......Is through !!!!!!!

Brave76

Ah thanks for pointing that out, it is indeed an M300, does that make a difference in shifter cables? 440-3.

Curious side note:  My title says the 6th digit its a G not a 6 guessing that is a typo or someone read a worn number and thought it was a G

DaveVA78Chieftain

69-70 - P/N 2830500
71 and later (all models) - P/N 3641309

Dave
[move][/move]

Brave76

Ok one more time. Anyone out there know what company to actually order from. Chrysler is sold out forever according to all the dodge dealers. chryslerpartsdirect.com has not responded. Mopar parts shows in stock but email cancelled my order and said it is NLA.

Any ideas?

Oz

Yes.  Here's a source here a lot of us find most of our "impossible to find" parts:  Junkyards.  There are several listed in the resources section in the Members' Area which will ship the parts too.  In addition there are other links there for sources of hard to find parts.

If you find one with the part, you can post which one it was and help us all out too.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Brave76

Froggy1936

Another option approx $95.00  B&M shifter  from Advance auto parts Easy to install  Has backup light switch & neutral safety switch  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Brave76

I will keep that in mind. I would love to try to keep it stock looking though, everything else inside the motorhome is stock and in good condition, right down to the green shag carpet.

Any alternates on cables or any one know how long of cable and the throw needed?

Brave76

Ok I just got my cable in it was from International the truck company. Dodge is out of stock forever according to the dealers. dartman as listed on here as having them Says he wants $245 each for the remaining stock. it was $45 at the international dealer. For those looking for a local dealer for the part go here www.navistarparts.com/findadealer.html and use part #435059c1

Im not trying to take credit here the post from Malodin was what lead me in this direction Just wanted to put it on one area with the dealer finder for those of you that have not heard of Navistar like i hadnt prior to this.

malodin

Brave, sorry i have not been on here in so long some how my acct got deleted and i forgot about ccw. yes it was the international dealer(navistar etc) i purchased mine from as well.

p.s. did you get it installed yet? i havent gotten mine installed yet as the motorhome hasnt moved since the trip it failed on lol.

Brave76

Yep I got it installed It was a perfect match to what was on there. The hard part was connecting to the shift selector on the dash, mine is up by the left window and to do it "easy way" you would have to take apart the dash on my Brave so instead i spent 3 hours on my back trying to get the eye on the selector. But that was only because I didnt trust myself to take apart my dash. But thanks for the tip on the Navistar/Internation parts source it saved me about $200

mvptarheel

My shift cable failed after coming out of the bracked on the side of the oil pan and getting too close to the exhaust pipe. I tried a B&M cable from Advance Auto for $55. Returned it because it wouldn't work.

I ordered the navistar cable from Cardinal International Truck in Raleigh. They had it shipped from Tenn. Got it in 2 days, $44+shipping. Looks exactly like the original. They were very helpful, even called to make sure I received it!

Thanks Malodin, you the Man!

Dr. Righteous

I'm currently fighting this same battle~!
My cable seized in my '78 Avco and I pulled it out and took it to the International truck dealer parts dept.   They were no help whatsoever.  I didn't have the part number for them to check but what they pulled out of their inventory wasn't even close. 
This thing is 102".

EDIT: I just called the dealer back armed with the 435059C1 part number. 
They looked it up and it is no longer available.   $@!#@!

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Stripe

You can remove Singletons RV from that list, they went out of business.. :(

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

James E Vining

You Know I have a 1971 Brave D-20 and I  have had nothing but issues with my cable, took it out 2 times Oiled it, Straigtened the Top Part where connects to shifter, Even ran some Super clean through it till it ran clean then washed it with Water till clean then ran Marvel mystery oil down it till ran out other end nice and red no Grey or debris in it and I could move it so easy by hand but as soon as I connected it to MH it worked 3 times from P-1st then it bound up.
I am thinking a new cable would do the same as there is nothing to keep it from bending at the top (shifter end).
I read about using a spring to assist it to go back to park on tranny lever thinking I may try that before spending $40+ more on cables just had to replace Speedometer cable plus a bunch of wiring etc.

malodin

I know I havnt been on this site for many moons but for james I came back:)  the reason yours keeps bending is because it has bent once already, its very similar to the old slide dial heater controls in imports and the likes, if you get the steel cable inside to bend once no matter how many times you straiten it it will bend again and again, because the strength has been removed from it. 

once you replace the cable you will not realize what you were missing.