Frozen/stuck transmission shift cable (new cable)

Started by malodin, May 27, 2009, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

Thanks, I will be getting a new cable to keep with me in case mine goes kaput again, what I actually did to mine (may sound really funny to some people) I took my Propane Torch, Flux and acid Core solder, Cleaned the cable real well and soldered the heck out of the cable at Shifter end ( where it kept bending) then filed and sanded extra solder off that was keeping it from moving all the way in and out, then just to be safe added a Spring on the tranny lever and since it has worked flawlessly, not to say that next time I shift to 1st it is then going to decide not to work properly and bend again so I think a new cable is a good idea.
Ya know murphy's law says it will stop working when it is the worst possible time, in a rainstorm, snow storm etc.

malodin

james, that's actually a great idea, you basically re-strengthened the cable with the solder yet its still soft enough to flex in the sheathing.  I like it.

Froggy1936

Actually the heating and cooling of the cable strands retempered the metal wich helped in the not bending again Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

TheSportsmanDodger

Short statement.... bicycle cable bicycle cable stops from shanano.... multiply fabrication with a steel plated bracket.... add a spring for snap back to prevent hange ups..... then hammer down a old aluminum bracket that was designed with the rv vent. drill one hole on with a 1/4 bit then pop it on the bike cable end... i am working on mine as we speak my 73 d22 is becoming a part time hot dog cart

Froggy1936

Thanks but photos to show us how this looks and works would be a big help!  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

James E Vining

Quote from: malodin on August 22, 2013, 02:33 AM
james, that's actually a great idea, you basically re-strengthened the cable with the solder yet its still soft enough to flex in the sheathing.  I like it.

Thanks, As I was inspecting the cable where it was bending I noticed the way the outer part of the inner cable was wrapped it started to appear as if it had been unwound a bit, so there was a little space in between the wrap that is what gave me the idea to try the solder idea.
It is another one of those "Gifts" I learned back when I was say 12 or so working on my Dirt Bikes when I didn't have the ability or money to buy a new cable I figured out ways to make things work or repair them etc.
I wish I had a Picture now of that before I soldered it to show everyone.
I'll Try to get pictures of everything no matter how minor I may think they are as Ya never know when it could come in handy like now.
Not to worry Mark I have a lot of storage space here at home so I wont overload the system . :)

TheSportsmanDodger

demon

Anybody have any luck finding one of these lately? Ive looked up the part numbers but have had no luck finding one.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]