Awning Operation

Started by Pat, May 14, 2009, 11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Sent: 1/11/2005

I have a 78 Minnie Winnie that I just bought and I can't figure out how to open it.  The guy I bought it from had never opened it and didn't know either.

Can anyone give me a clue?
Thanks!
Pat

Cooneytoones

Sent: 1/11/2005

Pat......You will need a a three ft. piece of steel 1/4 inch round bar (like re bar) but not that heavy with a  1 inch or so hook on one end (90 degrees) On each corner of the awning there is a little eye hole, put the hook in the eye hole, pull down and turn ( they are spring loaded). This unlocks the ratchet, now there should be a piece of material (like a flat string) exposed some where on the awning ( if it's not, you may have to get a ladder and unroll the awning by hand to find it) once these end pieces are unlocked the awning should pull down, Pull it all the way down by that string,  It will come way down..... almost to about 3 feet above the ground,  so stay outside of it and not right underneath...Re lock the ratchet pins......now you will see pins or buttons on both sides of the poles that came away from the coach near the ends, pull those pins out or push buttons in (they are spring loaded too) you'll have to do one side at a time, and raise it a little at a time, unless you have a helper, slide bottom of the inner bar toward the coach, this is your height adjustment,  you will lock it in any hole you decide to use when correct or comfortable height is achieved, you may have to do one side then the other and replete a couple of times... lock in place...and your awning is set. Reverse procedure to put up. Hope this helps...
Timmy

Sea Hag

Sent: 1/12/2005

There are several brand awnings out there , A&E are very common and sold under a couple of different names . They all operate a little differently as far as I can tell from posts . It took me a year to figure out how to  operate mine and identify it , after that of course I found the rod and directions for it hidden away in the Chief and now know how to do it right , sure was a lot easier than the way I was doing it .
If you can find some sort of identification plate for the make and model # of the awning one of us may have a copy of the instructions . A&E also has a website  and several online RV parts sites have breakdowns for parts and Do's and Don'ts . Sea Hag

Pat

Sent: 1/20/2005

Thanks!!
I did find the "tool" and will get up there and see if I can unlock the ratchet.

Pat

Slantsixness

Sent: 6/14/2006

This is worth reading....

Operating Your Awning

Practice rolling up your awning on a calm day until you have the procedure memorized. Then do the same thing while blindfolded, with someone spraying a hose in your face. This will simulate a typical emergency storm take-down. Except for the wind, of course. For this simulation you will need three fairly burly guys, all yanking the awning in a different direction at the same time. Once you have gone through the preceding exercise, you will understand why the experienced camper will take down the awning at the first sign of trouble.

After being rolled up and possibly damp for several months your awning will appreciate a good airing out and a bath with warm water and a mild detergent. Use a car wash type brush to scrub the surface of both the top and the underside. A little WD-40 on the moving parts helps to free up and protect these components. Dry it thoroughly before re-rolling it.

Lower one end of your open awning to allow rainwater to drain off. Peg down the awning feet when the awning is free standing so that a gust of wind will not flip over the awning. Also, the awning may be strapped down with the special awning straps available at your local RV store. If you suspect a strong wind or storm is coming the safest thing to do is roll up the awning.

From The RVers Corner

Awning roll-out

1. Release the travel locks on both awning arms.
   2. Switch the ratchet mechanism to roll out position with the awning rod.
   3. Hook the pull strap with the awning rod and roll out the awning.
   4. Slide the rafters up into position on the awning arms.
   5. Tighten the rafter knobs on both rafters.
   6. Raise the awning to the desired height.

Awning retraction

1. Lower the awning arms to the rest position.
   2. Loosen the rafters knobs and release the rafter catches.
   3. Slide the rafters down to the rest position.
   4. Grasp the awning to prevent it from rolling up by itself.
   5. Switch the ratchet mechanism to the roll-up position
   6. Control the roll-up with the pull strap and awning rod.
   7. Secure the travel locks and snug up the rafter knobs.
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

TrixTret1

Sent: 6/21/2006

Thanks Tom,

I truly needed instructions.  I do not have directions for mine and my friend Cindy always has to help me.  Really appreciate the info.
Brenda
CW Treasurer