How do I reach the spark plugs on a 413?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 11, 2008, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty1966us

Sent: 9/26/2003 9:52 AM

Hi all, newbie here, just bought a 72 indian with the 413 engine,  got it pretty cheap, everything seems to work!  My question is how do you get to the plugs to change them on this beast, doesnt look like it can be done from above, and below looks even worse!

Sent: 9/26/2003 1:02 PM

Rusty,
Through the wheel wells.  Sould be at eye level there.
Dave

Sent: 9/26/2003 1:54 PM

Oh what fun you are in for! I have had a 1972 D22 with the 413 engine for 12 years now, and 41,000 happy miles. On the passengers side you should be able to reach the spark plugs from above, after pulling the passenger seat out of the way and removing the engine cover. Thats the good news. For the drivers side plugs -Well..... I always work from inside the wheel well, and I dont know if it is feasible any other way. It means jacking the frame up and taking the front wheel off. Get lots of good solid supports to supplement the jack!!
Did you buy this RV from a person who was a member of this site? And how much info on its maintenance history did you get? Can you post some pictures? Do you enjoy doing your own repairs?denison

Sent: 9/26/2003 3:00 PM

Hi,
I'm not sure on a 413, but I assume that they are accessed the same as my 440. The passenger side is a breeze. Just sit up under the wheel well (In front of axel) and that 4 are easily reached. On the driver side, it is an entirely different story. However if you look carefully there is a heat shield that is removable (between the exhaust manifold and the master cylinder). I do that side on my back, underneath.

Good luck with it.

Chuck

Sent: 9/26/2003 4:39 PM

I also have a '72 with a 413. To change the plugs on the driver's side I work from above. I remove the valve cover which makes the plugs much more accessible. (It's also a good opportunity to change the gasket.)

C.

Sent: 9/26/2003 9:35 PM

Thanks for the info, sounds like fun! I do enjoy doing my own repairs. I do not think she belonged to anyone on the group. Only paid $1,000 for her, like I said, I think everything works. Only has 32,000 miles on her.

Sent: 9/26/2003 10:34 PM

Rusty;

I would have to agree with the group and say that if you sit between the frame and the passenger side tire, the passenger side is a breeze. The drivers side is a different story. Between the master cylinder and the steering, It is not an easy job. It is do-able. it helps to have a full tool set. The more extensions and universals the better. . Good luck

Dave

Sent: 10/5/2003 10:10 PM

are you SURE you have a 413 ??........the 413's plugs are a BREEZE to change BUT only from the top. You will NEVER get them from the bottom. Now the 440........ - the plugs are only accessible from the bottom or side.

Sent: 10/6/2003 6:25 AM

Discoverer is right. Here is what I have observed with my onw eyes: On most 413s in Winnebagos, the exhaust manifolds run below the spark plugs, and the right and left manifolds were identical - same part number. They had a centered exhaust output flange. On the last of the 413s, just before they switched to the 440, there were manifolds that ran above the plugs, but I think they were still symetrical. They also had a centered exhaust output flange, that was longer. And on all of the stock 440-3 in winnebagos that I have seen, the manifolds also run above the plugs, but there is a left manifold and a different right manifold. And most 413s had a high mounted water pump, with five mounting bolts, and a grease fitting for its bearings close to the distributor.
I welcome the group correcting me if I am wrong.
denison

Sent: 10/7/2003 1:52 AM

Yep,  Denison is right. The 413's we've seen are like that. I even checked the numbers on the one we just pulled to be sure, even though it had the 413 on the air cleaner.

Sent: 10/7/2003 8:36 AM

I am pretty sure it is the 413, the reason I think it will be a problem is that the valve cover is in the way on drivers side from the top and manifold is in way if trying to get at it from below.  I appriciate everyones help, I have never met a more helpful bunch!