Need Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild kit, '72 M400 w/413

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 11, 2008, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert-19722

Sent: 10/19/2007 7:06 PM

where can I find a brake master cyl  rebuild kit for a 72 Winnebago with a 413 engine, M400

Sent: 10/20/2007 6:12 AM

If you find out, let the rest of us know... What you will likely need to do is send the MC off to a rebuilder. It wont be cheap. The last I knew, m.c. rebuild parts are things purchased in quantites from the manufacturers of each of the several parts, none of whom seem interested in selling in quantities smaller than 1000.
If your master cylinder is the original Wagner Lockheed unit and still has the casting number on its bottom, you can go around to the places that sell parts to delivery trucks, and do brake/clutch work on trucks, and see if any of them have a listing for a new or rebuilt m.c. or a rebuild kit. The # on my 72 M400 m.c. was FF70533. There may be a G in front of the FF. That casting number crosses to 4 different applications that used the same casting - but I believe the m.c. you need would have two different size threads on the two outlet ports.

My luck with rebuilding master cylinders (which I stopped doing about 30 years ago) was that they would work okay for a year or two - then were leaking again.

Sent: 10/20/2007 6:56 AM

The NAPA website has listings for master cylinder rebuild kits for all of the late '60's to early '70's Dodge Motorhomes.  However, they must be looked up by part number (from your trusty "Motor Home Chassis Parts Catalog') as there is no listing by application.  Need to verify which master cylinder is in your 1972.  I'm guessing it would be a dual hydraulic system with a 1.75" diameter bore piston - Dodge part number 3632 678, but it might be possible that your 1972 Winnebago is on an earlier model year chassis that has the single hydraulic circuit.  Let me know if you need more help in identifying the correct rebuild kit.

Another alternative is to purchase a new or rebuilt master cylinder from a supplier like Allreta.  Their prices are fairly high, but they know brakes and get the parts delivered in a day or two.

A little diatribe about having good brakes.  After a three year rebuild / restoration, I have been using my 1975 Travco (on a 1974 RM350 chassis) on a regular basis.  All brake parts except for the rear drums were replaced.  The first trips were mostly flat highway miles, but as I gained confidence we visited the more remote campgrounds.  Had to make one quick stop, and it was no problem - plenty of brakes.  Week before last I stayed at the Dolly Sods area in NE West Virginia, where the final approach is around 15 miles of STEEP, WINDING, ROUGH gravel roads, with STEEP DROPOFFS with NO GUARDRAILS.  Needless to say I was glad to have fully functioning brakes!

Sent: 10/22/2007 7:26 AM

Thanks for the help. I have dual hydraulic system. they seem OK. The master cyl leaks, will remove it for a better look and let you know.  Robert

Sent: 10/26/2007 5:52 PM

This is what I found. NAPA took the Dodge part number you gave me and cross refernced it with their stock numbers. They came up with a NAPA part # 792. They found #10, there are now # 9 left. Installed mine today. Thanks for the help. Robert