Full LP gas Propane tank now empty. Mysterious leak?

Started by MSN Member, May 10, 2009, 01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razee

Sent: 12/17/2007

I just went through an 8 day power outage and my Winnie was of no help. Why? Well I could not use the propane fridge.
I filled my propane tank up in September and now its empty. (geez, its always something with my Winnie Sad )I have not used any propane at all since it was filled. The main valve was closed and the bleeder valve was also closed.

I need advice on any weird and unusual things (since most of my Winnie woes have been weird and unusual) that may cause a propane tank to lose its propane.

How much propane should I put in it for leak detection purposes?
If my tank is bad what options do I have as far as replacement (its an on board tank) or retrofitting a portable tank?

I will have to wait till Thursday to have daylight hours to troubleshoot this issue and I want to get to the core of this problem.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
-Steakless-near-Seattle-Ray

brians1969

ClydesdaleKevin

As Brian said, first make sure it really is empty, and not just a bad gauge...simply try to light a burner on the stove.

To check the tank itself for leaks, you only need about a pound of propane or less...any propane at all in the tank will be enough pressure to check for leaks.

Do this by getting yourself a spray bottle and filling it with a soapy water solution...just fill it with water and add a good amount of dish soap and shake it up.

We had a problem with the Ark losing propane from the tank when we got it, and this is how I found the leak:

Spray EVERYTHING, all over the tank, with the soapy water (once you put some propane in it!).  Especially every fitting, every valve, around every gauge, everything!  If there are any leaks, you will see bubbles starting to form...like a kid blowing bubbles slowly from a bubble wand.

On the Ark, it was leaking propane, very slowly, from around the shutoff valve.  It was leaking from where the valve stem disappears into the valve body.

Hope this helps!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

brians1969

Or the regulator freezing up (if you are where it's cold).

I would think that 10+ gallons of propane on board leaking out in less than 2 months would either make a slight hissing noise (early on) or more probably smell bad enough in the area for you to say "I've got a propane leak".
brian

Oz

Sent: 12/24/2007

Did you find the source of your LP gas loss yet?  - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Oz

Sent: 1/4/2008

Looking forward to the final chapter on this one, Raz.  It's kinda like waiting for the final episode of a mystery series!

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Razee

Sent: 1/4/2008

Well I hope this is the final chapter: I had to wait until yesterday to get some propane into the Winnie, I put 2 gallons into it and checked for leaks as best as I could in the wind and rain we had going on around here. No leaks, and no smell. I checked the gauge late last night and again this afternoon, the gauge is still at the same level and no smells. Smiley

We had some ( I must remember to us family friendly language) gas thieves around during that 8 day power outage and maybe they were messing with the winnie as well.

I think there is an O-Ring in the bleeder valve, Just as a little preventive maintenance I think I will buy one and have it ready to install for if or when I run out of propane again.

I had to jump the winnie's battery to get it started and after a bit of running the old cold engine was purring again.

My hood latch rusted shut and the passenger side window has started leaking... Aaaaaagh, it never ends. lol
Driving and being around the motor home made me wish camping season (Dry season) was less than 6 months away.

enigma960080

Sent: 2/22/2008

I discovered a not-so-mysterious leak  on my LP system. Having just  filled  the tank last week, and been too busy  to properly do the  preventative  stuff to the  Super Chief, I finally  made  some time  to  drive  it around,  exercise the generator and run the  gas appliances. I stepped outside the coach to get some tools out of the basement and was hit by a VERY strong propane odor. I opened the  hatch to find  my regulator frosted over and dripping Liquid  propane. I assume the regulator is  done for, but not  sure.

Any  opinions  out there? 
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

TerryCarolannUnger

Sent: 2/23/2008

Hi, On the question of  LP gas. Anytime you use or leak a lot of gas it starts to freeze over because of the large amount of gas poring through it. It might not be the regulator at all I would look somewhere else It should not be that hard to find! I hope you don't smoke and be sure you turn off ALL your pilot lights. do not use a match to check with! Use some water with a little soap in it in a squirt bottle and check all your fittings and lines. Terry

AlbuqHenry

Enigma,
Are your tanks horizontal?  If so it could be possible that the J-tube inside is not properly aligned.  The end of it might be in the liquid.  It should be in the vapor only. The regulator is not designed to work with liquid.  If you think this could be possible I will let you know how they determined my J-tube was not properly installed on my horizontal tanks.... let me know...-Henry

enigma960080

Yes, I have the  20 gallon horizontal tank.  The  rig  was  also  parked on the street with the  right side  in the  gutter, so there  was  significant  right side pitch.  I have  not  tried  to level  the  rig yet.  Rainy weather  has me  inside  this weekend.
I am just wondering if  the regulator  has  sustained any damage. I would hate  to have this thing blow up on me.

AlbuqHenry

My guess if there is a leak at the regulator it is bad....but here is how I found out my j-tube was not right on one of my tanks.... after being filled the guy at the propane place who inspected and repaired my leaking valve said I should clear the j-tube of liquid before connecting to the RV because liquid is not good for the regulator. He said to do this by putting the tank in the RV with the arrows pointed up, then before connecting lines, open the valve quickly a couple times until no more liquid came through the valve. (MAKE SURE YOU ARE CLEAR OF THE VALVE BECAUSE VERY COLD LIQUID WILL BURN YOU!) 

When he demonstrated he was surprised and said the liquid should have cleared by now.  At first he thought that maybe the tank had been converted to an upright type tank by removing the j-tube.. so what he did was, with the tank laying on its side he did the quick open and close thing of the valve  while slowly rolling the tank until he found the point when no liquid came through, only vapor.

Then he  marked that spot then continued rolling the tank until he found liquid again, then marked again. The center of the two marks is when the j-tube is pointing straight up. this is how is should be mounted in the RV. Hopefully this makes sense to you. 

I think this might be part of your problem because liquid should not come out of the tank, only vapor should.  As far as the regulator once you are sure no liquid is coming from the tank, hook it up and spray all your lines and regulator with soapy water and examine for bubbles.  Hope this helps -Henry

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 2/27/2008

Enigma,
If liquid propane is coming out then the tank may have been overfilled.  They are only supposed to fill them 80% full (20 gal tank would only hold about 16 gal) to allow for expansion.   A regulator should NEVER be subjected to liquid propane.   From my reading a few years ago, you will most likely have to replace the regulator.  If overfilled, you will also have to offload some of that excess propane.
[move][/move]

enigma960080

Sent: 2/28/2008

Gotta  give props  to the  guys at  Flying J.  They pumped 17.6 gallons in last week.
Everyone I've talked to about this  seems to be of the  same opinion.... dump the regulator.  I think I will write  next to the  fill valve in grease pencil 'MAX FILL 16 Gal.

tatkin

Sent: 3/20/2008

Mine went empty to, two full tanks. I have to think that regulator for the two tanks somehow is the culprit? At least I never smelt anything inside, and it was during a time when I was in and out of the rig a lot. I turn the valves on the tanks off now ...

denisondc

If I left the valves on, even with the new regulator - I suspect they would both be empty in 6 months. When we are traveling I only open the valve on one of the tanks, switching to the other when that first one is empty.

OldEdBrady

I'm no expert on much except typos, but, back when I owned the Whiny Beggar, I never turned the tanks on unless I was going to use them.  And, when I turned it on, only one was used at a time.

Never suffered a loss of propane.