Chevy 454 misfires and stalls

Started by MSN Member, May 07, 2009, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SupercubPilot

Dave-Pam1

Sent: 10/16/2003

Tim,
You might want to start by taking your alternator off and have it checked; it may not be putting out enough voltage with the lights on to keep up...
David

SupercubPilot

I tested it again yesterday during the daytime after charging my bats completely and I had the same stalling problem but didn't notice the voltage drop.  I just tested it once while I pushed it getting on the freeway and had the same missing then stalling response.  Thanks.
Tim

MSN Member

I have seen alternator diodes cause situations as you have described. Bench test of the alternator is a good starting point.  Be sure to let us know the outcome

SupercubPilot

Sent: 10/18/2003

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my problem.  Wow!  Great people are reading these posts.  My problem with the missing and stalling seems to be fixed.  I first replaced the main inline fuel filter just downstream from my two tanks.  That didn't cure it.  I then replaced the small paper filter that is the last stop for the fuel just before the carburetor.  That filter also had rust in it.  I replaced that one and my air filter and again test drove my RV last night.  I still can't believe that I might have fixed something!!!!  I might not have even tried without the help of this board.  I tried to attach a photo of rust from my filter.  Is this normal?  Should I drain my fuel tanks before I drive again or will that help?  What about all those fuel additives that they sell?  What about a better filter?  It is clear that this first filter doesn't stop all the rust or whatever.

I'm now going to go out and change my plugs and my alternator.  I don't have a torque wrench.  Is that really that important for plugs?

Tim

Dave-Pam1

Tim,
Its not necessary to torque your plugs...
David

denisondc

Sent: 10/18/2003 7:34 PM

Some folks like to drop the fuel tanks, get them steamed or boiled out, lined with a latexy or epoxy stuff to seal the rust down and slow further corrosion. Some of us are much lazier than that, and just carry a carton of fuel filters and our tools. Its a matter of personal choice. If you can place the in-line fuel filter in a spot where it can be seen by peering up under the fender with a flashlight, and if you got the kind you can see into, then it is a simple matter to check it periodically. It may stay clean for 1000 miles, or it may clog up after 50 miles of really lumpy interstate or desert back road. But it will clog up again. The filter that was right on the carburetor should stay clean, due to the earlier in-line filter, which is, or should be in the system between the tanks and the fuel pump.
Draining your fuel tanks would only help remove old gas - the rust will just lie there until you are buzzing along the highway, the fuel sloshing around. All those fuel additives they sell don't help cure the rust, unfortunately. . The ones that mix with water to prevent fuel line freeze up can be real useful if you plan to drive it soon in freezing temperatures.
I think people commonly overtighten spark plugs. Only about 12 to 15 foot-pounds is called for, which isn't much. A short 3/8 drive ratchet handle can get them tight enough, using just one hand. Avoiding overtorquing is only a real problem in aluminum heads anyway. Yours are good old cast steel. When you have your plugs out, it would be good to clean u the threads in the head with a spark-plug thread-cleaner.
Next I would advise you bleeding your brake system thoroughly, lubing ALL of the grease fittings, and getting some good rtv sealant in a cartridge and paying close attention with it to all the seams on your RV where rain might come in. Then check your toe-in, and the adjustments of your steering box. Enjoy. denison

Jim83Itasca

When i purchased my 83 Itasca (feb 03) it had set for two years.
Yes it would start and run bad so with about 10 gallons of fuel left i poured in 5 more with a can of berryman b-12.
Now things started to improve with a everyday start & run and with the tank very low i drove it and put in 30 gallons + 2 cans of berryman.
All said and done the carb still had to be cleaned out along with a new filter, Runs very good now.
454 with 20,000 miles on it and it purrs. Good luck

Jim