Interior LED lighting?

Started by MSN Member, May 01, 2009, 02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianjolly

Sent: 1/8/2005

Has anyone experimented with the new super-bright 12v LED lights as interior lighting? I've heard great things about the household 110v versions, and I'm wondering how the 12v bulbs compare.

I run entirely on solar power for my electric, so I would be willing to shell out the extra cost for LED if the power savings, extended life and brightness are as good as advertised.

Thanks,
Brian Jolly

Oz

Sent: 1/9/2005

Considering you are likely to have at least 10 bulbs in your interior, it would cost you about $80 or more to replace them.  The link Derrek just posted is an excellent way to save huge money on them!

The rest is academic for someone running entirely on solar.  Much less draw, much less heat, last "forever" and, are brighter.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

brianjolly

Sent: 1/9/2005

I'm definitely going to take a shot at making my own bulbs.  I hear you on the LED truck brake lights SOB. I've been thinking about slowly replacing my outside fixtures with LED but like you said, it's a lot of $$$$$. I'm amazed at the stories of how efficient these lights are though.

Let me know when the rain stops BooBoo!
Thanks All

Jupp318

Sent: 1/10/2005

I have tried the LED replacements in my interior lights and found them to be too directional.  I am considering designing a PCB to fit inside the original lights to provide a better light.  I don't have solar yet but just run on battery power when camping.  The coach battery I have is 220AH and I haven't flattened it yet!

Cheers Ian...

mightybooboo

Sent: 1/10/2005

A fellow I think on Escapees board is all LED for inside lights, he was using the multi LEDs lamps at something like 50-75 each (might of been more, they were very pricey as I recall)!, but says the power drain makes it economically feasible (guess a solar boondocker could justify it).  He doesn't like the directionality of em either, so he was using a lot of them (not at the same time) and doing a zone lighting trip.

A bit steep in price in my book's one day, though they hopefully will come down in price.

BooBoo

brianjolly

Sent: 1/11/2005 

I'm sure the price of LED will go down as it gets more popular.  Meanwhile I'm going to try the DIY approach, it's more fun that way anyway!

scuddder

Sent: 5/9/2005

Anyone tried the new LED lights for the interior on your rig? How do they work? Good?

mightybooboo

Sent: 5/9/2005

I just used a 3 blue light LED that plugs into a 12v socket lighter.It has a goose-neck.I left it on all night, it lights enough so you can see and move about the vehicle without stubbing toes or stepping on dog.  Cost about $6 at Walgreens.  Not much light, but awesome for what it did.  Couldn't read by it very well.  Just a fancy night light.  I was happy with it, uses very little power.

BooBoo

mightybooboo

Sent: 5/9/2005 10:01 PM

I also got a 3 led (looks like small mag lite), and a 6 LED (looks like 3 d cell maglite) for 20/pair at Walgreens.  Surprising the amt. of light they put out.  Not as much as a regular flashlight, but I'd say 1/2 as good for output.  Again,very happy and impressed, considering light out vs. power consumption.

BooBoo