Refrigerator works on electric, will it work on propane?

Started by MinnesotaTom, April 28, 2009, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 3/18/2008

Got warm enough out to check the fridge in the Sinnebago. It is DEFINITELY working on electric. Ran out of time and not sure I have propane anyway. This may be a dumb question, but I am wondering; provided I can get it lighted and keep it lit, does this success with the 110v necessarily mean it WILL work on gas as well? Seems like the system is intact, anyhow...

ClydesdaleKevin

You got it, Tom!  If it works on electric, then it will definitely work on propane, provided you get it to light and stay lit.  Sometimes a fridge will work on propane but not electric, but I've never heard it the other way around, as long as the propane actually lights and stays lit.

The propane burns hotter than the electric element, so sometimes a fridge will only work on propane for whatever reason, but you have it in the bag if it works on electric!

If you are out of propane in your tank/tanks, and you are anxious to test your systems, you can unscrew the regulator from your tank/tanks, and screw it back on to a barbecue grill propane tank...it will thread right in!  Then you can check your systems and tune them all up.

Yay!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention:  On propane tanks, for whatever stupid reason, the threads are opposite of normal threads...righty LOOSEY, LEFTY tighty.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Disclaimer:  CW does not discriminate against ammonia absorption refrigerators of any make, model or cubic ft capacity, whether in electric or gas operation mode or liquid propane, ether, gasoline, diesel or other fuel in liquid or gas form, or lefty, righty, loosey or tighty.  Or any other of Snow White's dwarfs....

See "Must be a conspiracy!" Discussion on the Miscellaneous Board for disclaimer applicable to vertically challenged entities.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 3/19/2008

Thanks, Kevin. THAT makes me feel somewhat better anyhow. Nice to have some GOOD news on this beast...and I was expecting the worst from that fridge. You know what I'm talking about,  Another selling point on that Chieftain (for $2500.00 that we viewed Sunday and I should have looked at a couple of months back?). it has a NEW three way fridge/freezer (110v, 12v, propane). Nice that Sinn's works, anyhow. If I decide to sell IT that oughta help.  Got another heavy, wet snow here last night...winter just won't let go this year.

Bedtime. ttyl

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 3/20/2008

Ahem. Uhhhhh......Mark....you're scaring me a little.....

denisondc

Sent: 3/20/2008

He'll be okay in a couple of days. It was a full moon last night ya know.... :)Trn2Evl:9