Looking for a source for exterior vinyl decals

Started by Scpauly, April 26, 2009, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scpauly

My 77' Chieftain has decals (or paint) on the side that is fading to 'gone'.  I'd really like to replace it with new vinyl.  Are there kits available, or do I just tape it off and paint it myself?  I've only had this guy for about a month and I'm still getting to know him (My Wife named him Bob).  Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

tiinytina

Have you searched the forum yet? We have some "Winnebago" decals but no "Chieftain" decals. You could call Winnebago and ask if the decals are still around... may be some on a dusty shelf... I know I called Tiffin and they actually had a new "Allegro" orange decal for my 1987 on a dusty shelf. Also you can get new decals custom made at most "sign" shops... Most do custom cut vinyl work. Warning... they are expensive. I had the words "Lil' Bit" cut for the wind screen on my Truck and it was $55.....
   May be cheaper but more time consuming to tape it out and paint it.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Oz

I also had custom, die cut decals made for my Indian.  "Custom Indian".  Pricey. 

As for the stripes, you'll likely need to paint them if cost is a factor.  They may still be available for your rig, but I'm not sure, but you can bet your sweet bippy (yes, I'm stuck in the '70s) that you'll pay through the nose for them.

It's not hard to paint them at all, I did mine and you can take black auto pinstriping tape and go along all the edges, it really looks sharp!  Just use masking tape and newspaper around striping and go to it with some spray cans.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Scpauly

Thanks Tina and Pharaoh.  I did check with the factory and they just sort of laughed...nothing on dusty shelves.  I live in Southern California (about the most expensive places I could ever be) and checked with a couple of 'sign shops' about lazer cutting the stripes.  The cheap one was $900...for one side. 

Dang, I want to get this guy looking as good as he runs, but that seemed excessive (and I had to install them myself).  So, since I have some history of painting flames on toilet seats, refrigerators and mail boxes, I am opting for a color match at "The Paint Store" in Mission Viejo...and doing the three level paint myself.  If I'm successful I'll post a picture of the results...If it looks like crap I'll post a story about how NOT to do it.

Again...thanks for responding.  I'm new to this 'old Winnebago' thing, but my wife and I just love our '77.  It's nice to know that there are others out there who feel the same way...and will offer advice.

Paul

Oz

Good sense of humor.  Believe me, there's as many "How not to" instruction guides here in the forums as there are "How to"s.  I've authored my share.

I'm sure you'll a great job.  Heck, If I can make my rig look as good as it does, you can make satin out of a sow's ear, as the Amish say.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Scpauly

This is an additional P.S. to Tina and Pharaoh: Tina...as of today, I did order a 'WINNEBAGO' decal for the front of the motor home!  Sorry for
  Paul

Cakeman2253

A few months back I was looking.

Did a quick Google search and found these guys, maybe cheaper than your local guy.
http://www.decaldesigners.com/lettering.asp?lettering=Vinyl%20Lettering
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home