Curtain Glides Sticking

Started by JohnandColeen, April 24, 2009, 11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnandColeen

Sent: 6/29/2003

We just put new curtain glides up in the front of the 69 Winnebago, but they don't "glide" very smoothly. There seems to be some unnecessary friction since they   have to be gently "encouraged" to slide back out of the way. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make them slide better?
Thanks

Myk-dK

Hi John & Coleen, I have the same problem with our front curtains, we have little aluminum wheels on our glides, they squeak & stick. I was thinking plastic wheels on the glides would work better.
I probably should let an expert like   WinnieNMe    answer this one.

Hows the weather in Alaska,  we have had a nice warm sunny spring, we will keep our fingers crossed now that its officially summer.

WinnieNMe

Assuming they are the right size, I would maybe spray the track with WD40

Wendell

I don't care much for the smell of WD-40 in the interior.  I'd run a bar of soap along the track.  Use something plain like Ivory without the deodorants that are in most soaps.  This will also keeps the inevitable drips from getting on your curtains.

beach

WD40 should work but take the curtains down first

Oz

Sent: 6/29/2003 7:07 PM

Hey folks, when I got my '74, the curtain guides stuck a lot too.  I noticed a black streak in the rails.  Just crud build up over the years.  I cleaned it good with degreaser and a green scratch pad, lubed the wheels with a touch of Vaseline.  they worked real smoothly, then, my wife made new curtains and replaced the whole set up!

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Arberg0

years ago my gran used to have brass rods in her house that the curtains hung on little hooks with very small wheel that went in the track and what she used was a candle rubbed the track with the candle and the curtains opened and closed never got stuck  idea size to use would be birthday candles there small enough to get into the track andeasy to apply the wax with just run a bead of wax along it acts like friction less slide

arberg0 aka william
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

tiinytina

know this post is quite old but... one of the best ways of lubricating the track is with a pencil. Pencil "lead" is actually graphite... a very good lubricant.... works on door jams too.  I like the thick carpenter pencils the best but a good ole' #2 works in a pinch.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!