Screen door (or lack thereof)

Started by MinnesotaTom, April 19, 2009, 10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 4/18/2008

Sunny doesn't have a screen door. I'm ignorant, and can't even figure how it was in there originally. Only sign there was one was a small roller type catch on the door frame. Did it have one like the Sinnebago? Aluminum with the slide cover for the latch? Door opening is about 26" x 73".  I can't even see how the darn thing would have been attached....  Wonder what the best source would be for another...?

ibdilbert01

Sent: 4/18/2008

Funny you should mention this, as I don't have a screen door either. My father keeps insisting he can make one and nobody would know it wasn't factory. Maybe this weekend I'll take him up on the idea, if so, I'll take pictures and post them.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 4/20/2008

Thanks, Dilbert. Please DO keep me posted on this one... I'm a big screen door fan kind of guy ( bad pun intended), and I really am going to want one.

Cooneytoones

Tom.....The screen door is actually molded inside of the entrance door...it attaches on the same hinge ( 1 piece... solid Chanel hinge) as the entrance door so they both open together, or separately.

I think you may be able to fabricate one ...but doubt, in my opinion if nobody wouldn't be able to tell. Also sounds like a lot of work to me.

Your best bet, (and less work) is to find a salvage yard, find a new entrance door with the screen door that will fit...the screen material itself is easy to replace. It is a very easy job to remove the door & screen in one piece and re-install it on your rig. Fabricating one would entail removing the door, molding the screen to fit the opening, including the spot where you can open the outside door from inside, and then tring to get it on the same hinge as the entrance door. It could be done. but like I said, sounds like a lot of work to me.

There are several different sizes, from 23 to 30 inches wide, most are 70 to 73 inches tall, with either rounded or square corners.

I know RV Surplus in Elkart, Indiana (there is a link to them on the recourse board) stocks them in all sizes with the screen for somewhere in the neighborhood of $275 to $375.

keeping out the flies...Timmy

ibdilbert01

Tom, we didn't work on the screen door this weekend, mainly because my hinges are shot, I left a message with Sands RV asking for three complete hinges.

Dad showed me what he was thinking, looks like maybe an hours worth of work and maybe 20 dollars in materials not including what we already have.

And Tim might be right on the looks. I'm sure person who knows Winnebago will be able to tell that its not original, dads design is a bit tougher, and in my opinion will look nicer, very professional. I will bet you this though, the average person would not know it wasn't made by a factory, dad being a retired fabricator amazes me all the time.

-The Real Timmy.

MinnesotaTom

Sent: 4/21/2008

Yeeeeowch!! $275 to $375 for a salvage part....? O'boy...this having a real Winnie part is gonna get to be an expensive hobby, I can tell...  hehehe!! Oh, well... it's long term, so what the %$#^ (just don't tell the better looking half yet).  Got lots to throw money at though, so maybe a way around this screen would be better for the moment....

Thanks Timmy and Timmy. I saw exactly what you were talking about with the hinges as soon as you pointed it out and wonder how I missed that since they are so....unusual looking with just the regular door on them. Mine appear to be in good shape, anyhow. So again, please keep me posted as to what your Dad does. You can shoot me guys, but I'm not super particular about traditional at this point, I just want functional.

Oz

Sent: 4/21/2008

A thought... if you can get a screen door... any size (of course you want as close to the size needed as possible)... from a junkyard for cheap, you can completely disassemble it (if needed), trim and cut pieces to fit in any fashion or dimension you wish.  You can move cross braces to install a different style door handle slider, put in solid panels of your choice and make screen areas however you want them.

My screen door wasn't original but, it was the correct dimensions.  However, the orginal hinges were gone and the screen door had a long, strip hinge mounting on the door frame.  This was not cool.  It would not open all the way, only 90° so, you'd have to reach through the (missing) door handle slider, stick your arm through and open and shove the outer door open and then open the screen door.  I went to the junkyard and removed three original hinges, mounted them on the screen door, and then carefully spread the hinges open (the part that would fit over the hinge pins) enough to get them over the hinge pins.  I put the screen door on and crimped the hinges over the hinge pins.  This was much.... much easier than having to take the entire door and frame out because the hinge pin mount screws are inside the door frame!  Just a little creative thinking can save lots of money and time when solving a problem.

As an example, I wanted to put in a replacement door handle slider in my screen door.  I go one at the junkyard for $1.  I took apart the screen door and moved the bracing, cutting junk flat panel to fit the increased size and simply drilled a couple new holes to make it all work.

~ Phåråoh ~
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

Interesting timing for seeing this thread pop up.  Dad and I were just revisiting the lack of screen door yesterday.    Sands didn't have the hinges and Dad says he can fab those out as well.   We will be dragging my electric car to an electric car show in Maryland may 15th.   Because of the trip, all "new" projects pertaining to the winnie are on hold, until then we are attempting to finish pending projects to get the rig ready for the trip.