Can the solenoid relay be bypassed?

Started by MSN Member, April 10, 2009, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 9/13/2007

Can you bypass the relay with just a straight connection. Dodge 318 Winnebago 72 M30. Its located on left side of engine to rim of engine cover. It is black with 2 holes. 1 inch long 1/2 inch wide.

ibdilbert01

Sent: 9/14/2007

The wiring around my engine has been messed with by the previous owners, but I have a self resetting breaker in that location. I have a 72 w/ a 318 has well. The breaker that I have is also in the wiring diagram in the repair manual you can download from this site.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

OldEdBrady

Sent: 9/14/2007

Can it be bypassed?  Yes.  Should it be bypassed?  Not in this lifetime.

Those solenoids are usually about the cheapest thing you can do with the motor, so I'd just ramble on down to one of those discount parts stores with with old and and get a new one.

We don't want to find out you've ended up in a hospital from bypassing the thing! 

Slantsixness

Sent: 9/15/2007

Um...

The "relay" that Loner describes is NOT the MOM switch relay... rather it's the Thermal breaker under the dog box that Ibdilbert is talking of...

For all intents an purposes: this is a useless fuse, not a relay, solenoid or "magic box" of any kind. If you look at the schematic carefully, the function of this breaker is duplicated in the the under dash fuse box (as long as the Bat/ACC buses have not been bypassed).

Ibdilbert:.... the thermal fuse isn't something somebody monkeyed with: it's supposed to be there, but not necessarily for anything that isn't already fused elsewhere as described above. (unless a previous owner has run every 12v accessory off this breaker, kind of using it as a convenient junction block!)

and Yes, these breakers are still available (but a very old and electrically unacceptable, unpredictable and unsafe way to "protect" any circuit, with the exception of power window motors or other inductive devices without safety switches...)

The battery or MOM (momentary) solenoid is in the battery compartment. Looks kind of like a ford starter relay, but is made for continuous duty, not intermittent use.
If you look in the battery compartment,  you'll find a couple more of these breakers too.. (and they are electrically useless for circuit protection also).

If you want a circuit and wiring protected, use a fuse, or a manually resettable breaker, not a bi-metallic switch.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

MSN Member

Sent: 9/16/2007

thanks thats the answer to my problems. Now does anyone know where I can buy a Thermal Breaker In Los Angeles,Ca. Huh?

tiinytina

Sent: 9/16/2007

I bought 2 and only ended up needing one... so I have an extra one..... The only reason mine went "bad" was because when I tried to unscrew it from the board it was mounted to i cracked it.....   I found mine on Ebay and nowhere else that I looked. If you are desperate for one I'll send this one out to you.
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!