Need starter P/N for '73 w/ 413

Started by MSN Member, April 08, 2009, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 8/18/2004

I posted earlier with a starting problem where I need to tap the starter relay. I replaced it and it worked fine and then quit again. Found that if I tapped the starter (rear) it would start so I'm assuming now that I need to replace the starter itself.

I'll pull the starter to take it into Napa but wondered if anyone had a part number to make sure I got the right replacement.

I've got a 73 Brave with a 413-1 engine.

Thanks

Francis

Daved27c

Francis;

Apparently the only receipt that I don't have is the one for the replacement starter that game from NAPA. What I can tell you is that it is a bear of a job. Unbolting the starter is fairly easy, however physically getting the darn thing out is not. It will come out, but it will be tough. I always tell the guys from the part stores that I have a 72 Dodge 1 ton. Most of them don't know how to look up a "M400" chassis.

Dave

denisondc

And before I would take the starter In, I would clean its terminals and the terminals on the starter relay - to see if that would let it work.
To get that starter of my 413 engine I found I had to unbolt the heat shield that was on it - even thought the heat shield wouldn't come out by itself. Just having it unbolted added a little maneuvering space. I also unbolted the bracket that supports the starting relay. That way I could get the starter to slide back sort of inside the frame rail, - - after I had gotten it free of the exhaust pipe, and turned it to the top part was facing down. Then I was able to get it off. I don't think its a very unusual starter; at the parts place the counterman saw it and said, Oh, you want a mopar big block starter, and brought out one that was identical, except for being 1/8 inch longer. It still fit back in okay.

enigma960080

3257 is the  regular  starter number,  Some chains  sell a high torque  version  3258.  If  you have a  very  tight fit, stick with what you have. The  mountings  are interchangeable, but the 3258 has a slightly longer and wider  frame.

Phil
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

MSN Member

Sent: 8/19/2004 9:03 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone. Sounds like it'll be more of a challenge to get it out and back in  than to find a replacement. If nothing gets in the way, it'll come out this weekend, otherwise next one. Moving north 450km next month so I'd like to get this done before that.

Thanks

Francis

mightybooboo

Sent: 8/19/2004

After 2 starters of the regular variety,I got a heavy duty from a small parts store when it failed once again while traveling.It was all they had,and was same price.No more starter problems in the heat since.Easy fit on Minnie Winnie actually,just a wiggle bit,took 45 minutes in and out.Now laying on 40 degree concrete to change it,in the RV park,next to the rolling mansions,that part wasn't so nice.
I vote for the heavy duty one if it will fit.
BooBoo

denisondc

Sent: 8/20/2004 7:25 AM

450km north of Calgary? I guess you don't mind cold winters??? 

MSN Member

Sent: 8/20/2004 9:21 AM

Thanks for the tip on the HD starter...I'll look into that.

Denison...I guess it's not exactly 450km north since we are East of Edmonton, although that's what it is driving distance from here.. A small place called Vilna...near Smoky Lake and St. Paul. Got a 264' yard so makes finding a place to park the RV all winter easy and no storage fees this year!

Francis