Where is the Chassis/Engine Fuse Box Located?

Started by MSN Member, April 04, 2009, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 10/13/2004

I have a 1975 Chieftain and can not find the engine fuse panel. I found the one for the camper itself but can not find the one for the motor, heater fan and stuff. Owners manual is useless, as usual. Any ideas?
                                           Thanks,
                                           Frank in Baltimore

MSN Member

Sent: 10/13/2004

Frank, welcome to the group!

I'm not sure about the '75 models, but have you checked under the dash directly above where your left foot would be when driving?  It should be way up under the dash -- you will have to practically stand on your head to change fuses!

John

MSN Member

Sent: 10/14/2004 10:44 AM

Yes thats where it should be on the 75 chieftain way up under the dash . I have found it easier to remove the drivers seat from the mounting pedestal ., before venturing underneath the dash , and I leave a trail of wire nuts to find my way back out . Sea Hag

Oz

Sent: 10/14/2004

I believe the location is the same for quite a few years running.  Just lie on your back (easy to do if you are Mr. Twist-o-flex) and snake your way under the dash.  Point your flashlight up between the steering column and the side wall and there it is.  - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 10/15/2004

For what it's worth, I unmounted my fuse box from that almost unreachable location under the dash (it's mounted to the steering wheel support column) and installed it inside of a plastic box with a lid.  There was plenty of wire length to mount the plastic box at floor level.  Makes it a whole lot easier to access the fuse panel now.   I should note, that while I do not have the leg room problem many here have (I'm short), I have also removed the carpet covered wooden kick panel just forward of the steering wheel.  It only covers up the wiring looms which can be dressed to look good.  For reference, the relay for the running lights is also mounted to the metal plate the fuse box is mounted to.  My relay was bad, so I replaced it with an after market fog light wiring kit.  It handles the amps and the switch they come with allows me to blink the upper running lights as a thank you when passing.  I made sure the parking lights (front and rear) do not blink by wiring them directly to the headlight switch.  I have had no problems and I am fairly sure a headlight switch can handle the normal load current of just parking/tail lights.  It's the addition of the upper running lights that pulls enough current to require a relay to drive all running lights.  Headlight switch is not designed to support that much current.

Dave
[move][/move]

MSN Member

Sent: 10/16/2004

There was an OEM switch on the main dash , to control the top running lights . I thought mine read "Bunk ". I recently found out in a post that it reads " Blink "  and is for the top running light Flash signal .  This solves one of my mystery switch and possibly my top running lamp problem . Sea Hag

MSN Member

I also removed the wooden kick panel that Dave mentioned, which makes accessing everything under the dash a tad easier.  I still recommend removing the driver's seat though, it makes a world of difference and is well worth the effort -- the time it takes to remove the seat and do what you need to do under the dash will probably be less than the time it takes to just do what you need to do WITHOUT removing the seat.

Funny, I thought the kick panel was something one of my PO's added to cover up the rot behind it ... didn't know it was the original design.  If you remove yours, be ready for what might be lurking underneath!

Oz

Interesting.... I have 2 such switches.  One says, "Blink" and the other, "Bunk"!  The second one was easy to figure out.  When I press it to the right, it lowers the cockpit overhead "Bunk".  When I press it to the left, it raises it.  When I press the "Blink" switch with the headlights on, 2 chrome headlight eyelids drop down and go back up twice!  Like they blink!  Had you going there, didn't I! - Anonysob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca