Engine dies when I let go of the ignition key from start position

Started by MSN Member, April 04, 2009, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 9/27/2005

Well I went to get gas the other morning to go camping and I got home loaded up the Winnie and she would not start???  She will turn over,fire and run with the key in the starting position but when I let of the starter she dies?? I am stumped...any suggestion or questions? Huh?
Thanks

Elandan2

Hello DD007. That sounds like the ballast resistor. Rick   
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Elandan2

The ballast resistor on my 1977 is on the plate mounted to the back of the engine above the transmission.  The plate has the ignition module, regulator, and ballast resistor.  On Chrysler ignitions it is quite common for the ballast to just up and quit.  They reduce the voltage to the coil when the engine is running.  The reason the engine will run with the key in the start position is the ballast is either bypassed ( in the case of a single ballast ) or is using the primary side of a dual ballast.  The secondary side of the ballast has current running through it constantly while the engine is running and it heats up quite considerably. This heat wears out the resistor in the ballast and it fails.  Good news is they are quite cheap to buy. You should always carry a spare, they are easy to replace.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Elandan2

Here I wrote all that stuff and now I see you have a '69.  As long as you rig has the original ignition; ie. points and mechanical regulator, it will have a single ballast resistor.  The single resistor has two wires.  You can test if it is any good by bypassing and see if the engine runs.  DO NOT leave it bypassed for more than a test as you will be applying full voltage to the ignition and the components will not last very long.  As far as the location of the ballast resistor on your rig, I can't say for sure.  Rick.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

denisondc

The ballast resister is certainly likely, but it could also be a bad connection, or a bad ignition switch. After all, the contacts for the "run" position of the ignition have gotten most of the wear and arcing over the last 3 decades. I think yours has the ignition switch mounted on the dashboard? You could try making the contacts yourself. There are 2 ignition circuits on that ignition switch. (This is also true if the igniton switch is mounted in the steering column). Ignition 1 is the normal running circuit, and according to the wiring diagram in the service manual for the 1970 and 71 chassis, the wire would be a 16 gauge red wire. The ignition 2 circuit is only used when you have the key in the start position. The wire might be a 14 gauge pink wire, and would run to the other end of the ignition resistor from the red wire, and from to the ignition coil. There is a 14 gauge orange wire, which is "grounded" when you turn the key to the start position - to make the starter relay tell the starter to turn - if the tranny is in neutral or park.
You might want to look closely at the wiring harness where it runs beside the engine on the drivers side. Mine had been melted by drooping too close to the exhaust manifold, and been repaired. I had to repair the repair once - several of the wires in that bundle were badly enough cooked that its a mystery my winny ran at all.

MSN Member

Ya, it's the ballast resistor.  When I first got mine, going along just fine - then nothing.... coast to shoulder and puzzle?  After a few minutes it starts up and runs fine for 5-10 hours, before quitting again.
  Replaced mine and carry a spare resistor, but never had a repeat problem.
  Seems the wire wound resistor fractures (open circuit) especially when hot.  Cooled it reconnects... or something.

John

MSN Member

Thanks, I picked up a resistor today for $5 and a new ignition switch for $8,I will have to put them in Thursday,hopefully that will do it. I have pictures of the W on www.dudesadventures.com if any of you get bored.
Thanks
I will check back in later this week.
Dude

MSN Member

Sent: 9/28/2005

Well as usual I could not wait,I found the resistor under the coil covered in dirt,unplugged it and plugged in the new one....started right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am definitely getting a spare,what a pain that would have been at the campground!
Thanks for your help again. I always say if I can't learn something new everyday,whats the purpose.

MSN Member

Good to see you got it going with a semi easy fix.

Now, would my 78 Brave have one of those? If so, I definitely want to carry a spare.

denisondc

Assuming your 78 brave is on a dodge chassis, it would have an ignition resistor. Yours being electronic ign, the resistor would be a double one, with 4 terminals. White ceramic, about 3 inches by 1.5 inches by 1/2 inch? If I had the electronic ignition system I would also carry a spare electronic module - often mounted atop the bell housing at the back of the motor, right next to the ignition resistor.

MSN Member

Sent: 9/29/2005

Thanks denison! I took the dog house off last night and there it was just underneath the ignition module. Now I know what to look for, but in this town.......hrmmmmmmmm

Thanks again!

Randy