Be wary of newer smaller starters

Started by MSN Member, April 03, 2009, 10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 5/13/2007

Good morning.  I need a new starter for the 440-4 engine in my '78 Dodge Itasca, so I purchased one of the new fangled high torque small starters on EBay.  Upon attempted installation, two problems have become evident.  The 2 power wires are not long enough to reach the new terminal locations, and the end of the starter touches the side of the block, preventing the bolted flange end from seating squarely.  Upon further internet searching, some (not all) sellers of this starter do have the disclaimer "on some engines, grinding of the block may be necessary".

It touches on the edge of the freeze plug and I'm certainly not going to grind anything off of the block.  Back to the local auto parts store for an original rebuilt starter.
pinballlarry in San Diego

Slantsixness

Sent: 5/13/2007

Larry,

That is the wrong starter. Although it "sort of" fits, it's the wrong animal.... no grinding should be necessary. What this looks like from you picture above is a late model magnum (small block) starter.

Check that they didn't sell you or mis-box the starter for a 360, or 340 instead of a 440. It's hard to tell the difference by just looking at it.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

MSN Member

Sent: 5/14/2007

You can take off the connector adapter and connect the two wired directly to the starter and there will be enough clearance. I have done this many times.

Henry

enigma960080

Sent: 5/15/2007

If  memory  serves,  The  old  Chrysler  v8's  used  2 starters   after market part number 3257  was  standard,   3258  was  higher  torque and  the frame was  slightly  longer.....   OEM  design
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332