Odometer not working

Started by MSN Member, April 02, 2009, 08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 7/23/2004

After going for a test drive we noticed our odometer don't work neither does the trip meter.  The speedometer works but bounces around a lot.  Just wondering if anyone knows the workings of these.  This is a 1975 Indian.  There are a lot of wires coming out of the dash too.  Also we were wondering how to get the dash off.  Took out all the screws but couldn't seem to get it off.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MSN Member

Sent: 7/24/2004

If you have the "wrap-around" dash, it is a little more complicated.  Prior to removing the screws, you have to reach up under the dash and pull the speedometer cable out; it uses a "squeeze" locking collar -- simply squeeze the outer ring and pull the cable off.
Do yourself a favor, though... Before going to all the trouble of removing the dash, you might want to just check if the speedometer cable locking collar is really locked onto the back of the speedometer -- just try to pull on it a couple of times.  If it is not locked on, that means that the cable end is not all the way into the speedometer -- and the symptoms you described can result.  This can also result if you have a broken speedometer cable, or if the bottom end is not securely tightened onto the transmission or cruise regulator (whichever the case may be).
Once you pull all of the perimeter screws, you have to "fold" the wings inward to allow the body of the light switch to clear the opening.  Once you get it partway worked out, you need to remove the heater lever module -- that has two screws that go in parallel to the dash panel, on each end of the module's frame.  Once you have that off, you can them pull the dash panel out enough to turn it face down against the back side of the steering column.  The instrument cluster has three plug-in connectors that you can remove -- they are keyed, so you don't have to worry about replacing them wrong.  Once those are removed, you need to unplug the light switch plug, all of the switches, etc.  Be sure to label the wires so that you can replace the wires properly, too.

John

MSN Member

Sent: 7/24/2004

Thanks a lot I will pass this info on to hubby and I will post the results when we finish.  Thanks again for explaining.
Shari

MSN Member

Sent: 7/24/2004 11:39 AM

Sheri - If all the above fails and cab;es are good and lubed . and the problems ends up being the Dash speedometer unit it's self  - I may have some parts from a 75 dash that might work to repair it . I also have some other 75 Dash and chassis parts as well - including Dash gauges , dash printed circuit board - Brake master cyl. , brake vacuum boosters (2)  , Brake Light switch , and sentinal valve - Email me if Your looking for them - my e address is correct on member survey - Sea Hag