Headlight repairs, 77 Dodge Itasca

Started by MSN Member, April 02, 2009, 08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 8/20/2007

After driving the 77 Itasca last night, it was obvious that the original 6014 headlamps were dim and poorly adjusted.  Today I took both sides apart and found the plastic adjuster bases cracked and crumbling and the adjuster screws very rusty.

Easy fix I thought so I went to the local Kragen auto supply where I learned that I needed Dormans/MotorMite #42189 for pre '78 models.  They did not stock that part so I bought #42188 which looked tantalizingly close enough to fit. I also bought 2 Sylvania 6024 halogen lamps.  I had to do some razor blade work to make the newer style adjuster fit and I wasn't happy with the results. So off to Pep Boys to find the correct parts.  They had nothing so across town to Autozone.  What do you know, they had 2 packages of #42187 which includes both old and new style scres for only $4.  Bought both packages.

Upper pair with white bases is for '78 and newer part #42188, lower pair is for '77 and older part #42189. After putting everything together, I spent a while adjusting the the aim of the headlights.  Took 3 stops along the road to get the beams to my liking.
The halogen lamps are much brighter and better. Tonight I drove 75 miles on Interstate 8 east of San Diego, climbing 3500 feet in elevation.  The Itasca has enough power to stay at 60+ mph going up hills. Even passed several dawdling drivers. On the way back I topped out at 75 mph for a minute, but that felt too fast so I stayed around 65 and it was stable and drove well. The exhaust if very loud under full load but tolerable when cruising.  Cooling system temp never went over 205. The new front disc brakes have enough stopping power to plaster unbuckled passengers to the inside of the windshield quite easily.  I will be driving around again tomorrow, then refilling the gas tank to learn the initial MPG in preparation for the big 1400 mile trip to Montana on Tuesday.
pinballlarry in San Diego dreading the 100+ temps in the desert.

MSN Member

Great thread Larry!

Just this past Friday, while cleaning my windshield for a trip to the beach, I was thinking I'd like to do this to my Annabelle (78 Brave). Now that you've already got all the part numbers, it should be a breeze. The halogens have got to be much better.

Thanks!

MSN Member

I wonder if my 73 brave uses the same part numbers?

MSN Member

The catalog listed '69 to '77 as using the early adjusters, '78 to '94 for the later version. I would assume all Dodge chassis would be the same for each year. I did see the Chrysler part numbers on the headlight buckets but didn't bother to write them down.
pinballlarry