Location of batteries, '72 Chieftain

Started by MSN Member, April 01, 2009, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 3/4/2008

on a 72 chieftain, where are the batteries located?  LOL, told you there would be lots of questions!

denisondc

The Chieftain was the top of the line model, there werent as many of them as the Indians and Braves; so I dont recall where - but usually there would be a place for two large batteries on a slide-out tray, somewhere along the side of the motorhome. Look for a door at the bottom of the sidewall, a bit more than 2 feet wide and maybe 16" high. I have seen them more often on the driver's side, rather than the curbside - but they could be on either one. On some models you had to lift up one of the steps from the entry step-well to find the batteries. Typically the battery space was big enough for two very large batteries, a volume equivalent to four regular auto batteries.
Other exterior doors will hide the generator space, the place for the propane tank or tanks, an access door to the rear side of the fridge, a door opening onto the water heater, possibly a couple more smaller doors opening into storage spaces under the seats of a dinette, and perhaps one at the back giving access to the water tanks or where I keep my bottle jack and tire changing tools.
If the weather is good and you are in the mood for exploring, I advise lying on the ground under your motorhome, looking up at all of the plumbing, wiring, braces and assemblies and such; just to get an idea of what mysteries you will soon be learning all about. As well as what is about to fall off.
Do you know if the motor is a 413 or a 440? (the exhaust manifolds on the 413 run below the spark plugs.) Do you know if it has the two large Bendix Hydrovac brake boosters mounted to the inner side of the frame halfway to the rear axle?
Be sure to check the transmission fluid regularly at first - at least until you establish whether it is dripping out, and how fast. I would also advise getting a grease gun and trying to pump grease into each and every zerk fitting on the motorhome. My D22 Indian has 22 grease fittings, including the one on the brake pedal pivot, and on the top of the water pump at the front of the engine. Yours being a longer chassis, I expect it would have one or two more grease fittings on the driveshaft...for a total of 24 of them. They are all important to keep greased - every 4000 miles except the ones on the front axle get grease every 2000 miles. The odds are this has not been done regularly.
As for being a money pit - they arent bad if you can do most of your own repairs and maintenance. (And since they are fairly simple, this is definitely feasible). Boats and Airplanes are worse.

MSN Member

Welcome, They should be on the drivers side front access door. A 2' by 1' locked door. I has a slide out tray. Some times it's hard to pull out. Just grab with both hands and a foot or two then grunt and cuse. Thats the Winni way. Keep the questions coming. Marty

denisondc

That slideout tray probably has, or did have, a bolt near the middle front, whose purpose was keep the tray from sliding out on corners. Even with the bolt removed, it can be a definite fight to get the tray out - at least till you can grease the skids.
And if the cables are not connected when you see them, dont assume the black ones are negative and the red ones are positive! A couple of members here have encountered 'reversed' colors on those cables!

JDxeper

Could the batteries be in the rear storage compartment? seems llike I saw athread one time with batteries in the rear!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

MSN Member

Sent: 3/6/2008

I wouldn't think the truck battery would be at the rear. That's a long way for the juice to travel back up to the starter. And the other way from the alternator.

DanielTBolger

my '72 Chieftain  it right behind the drivers wheel the flip up door and slide out tray