Carter I-95 carburetor problems

Started by GOWINIGO, March 31, 2009, 05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOWINIGO

Hello, My name is Bryan and we are on our way to south Florida.  We are having carb problems.  I cannot find anyone with a carb to sell me and we are limping around. The numbers on the carb tag are...6540 s    3214 461 . The numbers on the carb itself are 0-2291. Its a carter two barrel and its on a 1973 brave d18 with a 318. We would appreciate any help!!  :-\

-Bryan
:)

The_Handier_Man1

I just talked with Bryan.  His problem sounded a lot like Tobytyler had a while back so I told him to check the fuel lines.  http://www.classicwinnebagos.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=43&topic=1768.0 Runs fine up thru 1st and 2nd but tops out at 45 MPH.  He has a rebuilt carb and new mech and electric fuel pumps.  His has a mechanical tank selector switch and has the same problem with both tanks so that leads me to think maybe the tank switch or at least the line from the switch to the carb.  He has a see thru filter close to the carb, no other filters found, and it gets empty and bubbles sometimes.  The filter is clean, not like mine. If anyone is close to him you might give him a call.  His number is in his post.  I wished him my best,  Les

GOWINIGO

Thank you so much for your help. It was the selector switch stopped up and i almost gave up...Thehandierman, thank you!
-Bryan and Aiko
:)

The_Handier_Man1

WOW WE DID IT :)clap :)clap
Here I was, in Oregon, and working on a rig on the East coast.  GOWINIGO was driving down the road (slowly) and calling for help.  All I did was talk him thru what all of us would do for anyone.  I can not take all the credit for this repair (we fixed it) since I have learned much of what I know from others.  My hands don't even smell like gas, and he is now on his way,lol.

So here is what happened as I see it.
Sounds like it is running out of gas at 45MPH.
New fuel pump.
New see thru filter at carb has bubbles and runs empty.
Has 2 fuel tanks and runs the same out of each tank.
Manual tank selector switch.
Took selector switch apart and cleaned the gunk out.
Runs great.

A couple of phone calls and it's all better now.  Come to find out that this rig was from Oregon. 
I love a happy ending.  Sure denison could have fixed it in one call but I'm trying,  Les