Window tint?

Started by brians69d24, March 29, 2009, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brians1969

Sent: 4/13/2007

My windows are clear and was thinking of putting tint film on as I see most newer rv's have tinted windows...good for privacy and keeping the rig cooler.
Is it easy to do without getting bubbles?
What is the ideal level of tint? 20% - 40%- 80%?

brian

denisondc

Sent: 4/13/2007

There is a limit on the degree of tint you are allowed to use in your car/vehicle windows, and it varys from state to state.  Here is a website listing the states 'tint' laws:    www.tintcenter.com/laws/    In most cases, if you are in compliance with your home states laws (where your vehicle is titled and your drivers license is from), you wont be cited in other states.  On the other hand, overly tinted cars have gotten pulled over and towed to the impound lot in this part of Texas.   
     The windows of my Winnie have what I believe is a %5 neutral gray tint.  You dont really notice it until you park next to an RV that doesnt have it.

Lefty

Sent: 4/14/2007

Hi,

Tinting is easy! Just take your time & follow these tips:

1: Tint only in cool shade out of wind.
2: Clean the windows using a mixture of 1 part white vinager, 3 parts water, and a good squirt of liquid dish detergent. Use #0000 steel wool to scrub the windows, and wipe clean & dry with either news paper or coffee filters. When wet, I usually scrape the entire window with a single edge razor blade to ensure that it is spotless. Sob is right, you cannot be too clean. Any dirt will make a dimple, and can cause a tear when squeeging.
3:Get a spray bottle & fill with water, add ten drops of Dawn (or any liquid detergent).
4: Start by laying the tint on the window, with the side having the clear protective film towards the glass. Cut to size allowing 1/16" of an inch around the edges for heat expansion. Remove the cut piece.
5: Spray the window till very wet. Start peeling the film off the tint and spray the sticky side as you go. Don't worry, you cannot use too much as it will all be squeeged out later.Tip: A piece of scoth tape applied to each side of the tint (in a corner) with a little bit sticking out as pull tabs makes it easy to peel the clear film off.
6: Re-wet the window & film, place on  the glass & start by gently pressing from the center out to hold it in position. Do not press too much until it is where you need it to be.
6: Once the film is in position, take a rubber squeege & hold at a 15-20 deg. angle, leaning in the direction of the stroke, and work out the water starting in the center, and working in a circle using short, straight, strokes until you have all the water out. Take your time, & just use gentle pressure, you don't want to stretch or tear the film. I keep the surface wet while squeeging, to make it slide smoothly.
7: After you get the water & bubbles out, do not touch, clean, or open the window for at least a few hours (overnite is best). This will allow the films adhesive time to set. It is normal to see a slight grey haze until the adhesive dries. It will clear up.

Sometimes, very tiny bubbles will remain. use a needle to puncture them & press them with a coffee filter to draw the water out. Do not try & work them to the edge!
8: Final cleaning: Mix 1 part alcohol with 4 parts water, apply with sprayer & wipe gently with coffee filters till dry. Buff with a clean, dry filter

Maintaining:
Use only window cleaners that are specifically designed for tinted windows. Do not use ammonia based cleaners (Windex). Vinager or alcohol with water works great.
Use either coffee filters or a micro fiber cloth to buff dry. Paper towels will scratch the film, so don't use them.

Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...